Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Best Buyable Food In Canada?

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
What is the best buyable guinea pig pellet food in Canada? I can order online, it's just cheaper if it comes from in Canada. ^-^

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
You could try (broken link removed) . They are based in Quebec.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I use the Pet valu brand pellets, they are a pretty good brand. Not the best but exceptable. You can find Oxbow at some places, but I am not sure of where.

sanyka

Cavy Slave
These are the Canadian distributors of Oxbow. (broken link removed)
I had to travel to the US to get Oxbow unfortunately because there aren't too many distributors in BC. Alberta is better and other prairie provinces for obvious reasons.

Hope that helps!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Oxbow, Proform, Martins and Mazuri 5664 if you can find it.

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
I had to travel to the US to get Oxbow unfortunately because there aren't too many distributors in BC. Alberta is better and other prairie provinces for obvious reasons.

You could try and contact a vet clinic in the area, maybe they can order some in especially for you. A major Canadian veterinary supply company now stocks oxbow products. ( I work at a vet hospital and was thrilled to find this out).

piggyluv

Cavy Slave
So Martin's is good? I was wondering, because I feed my pigs that. I shop at Pet Valu too! They don't sell animals, and the one near my house also sometimes rescues:)

Momto3boys

Cavy Slave
You could try and contact a vet clinic in the area, maybe they can order some in especially for you. A major Canadian veterinary supply company now stocks oxbow products. ( I work at a vet hospital and was thrilled to find this out).

I tried to get my vet to order Oxbow for me and she said they have to order a whole pallet so it wasn't worth it for her since she would never sell it all, is this still the case or can they just order a few bags at a time now?

Would you be able to send me the info for the vet clinic in NS that sells it? It might be cheaper to get it there instead on Ontario.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So Martin's is good?
It's better than some brands but I wouldn't put it up there with Oxbow and KM's. It's acceptable though.

piggyluv

Cavy Slave

Corinne

Cavy Slave
We just got our girls last week. I'm struggling to find a source for quality pellets in our community.

We have Petland and Petecetera for chains. The local feed stores have bulk bags that are alfalfa based.

The only timothy pellet I found had beet and corn products in it :eek:(

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Well I'm from a University city in Ontario and we actually have two stores that carry Oxbow, so I know it can be located here. I would try asking the pet stores to order some in rather than the vet.

A note about Pet Value, I'm not sure if this is about the whole chain, or just the few stores in my city, but I have found their supplies really lacking. My friend actually works for them and she said that their stuff is poor quality, I don't think I would trust their foods if the other stores are like the ones in my area.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Corrine- Martins, Mazuri 5664, and I believe Proform are all alfalfa based. Though a good timothy pellet is preferred for adult pigs, alfalfa is acceptable but must be strictly limited to 1/8th cup per pig daily.

Corinne

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies. I live in central BC... many things tend not to be shipped north of the lower mainland or Okanagan. :rolleyes: I'm thinking I'll get on the phone and start calling vets to see what's available there.

On the bright side, a local farmer brought a bag of Timothy to Advent service tonight. So much nicer than the pet store stuff!

I'm waiting for my piggie bedspreads to clear customs. I can't wait! Clean up will be so much easier and the fleece will look awesome :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.