Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How much do C&C cages usually cost???

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
My mom won't let me get a C&C cage :weepy: because she says we have no room in the house, my pig is happy with her slightly too small cage, and because she bought my current cage for $60. I was thinking that if I offered to buy the materials for a C&C cage she would let me get one, but I only have so much money. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me a price range?

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Grids are usually about $15-20, and a the choroplast can be anywhere from $10-30 in my experience. It all depends on where you go for the choroplast, as most sign shops are privately owned. Perhaps you could print out some pages from this website for your mom, highlighting the parts about why it is so important to have a larger cage. Show her pictures as well. If you only have one pig, the cage would only need to be a 3x5 grid cage, which is about 28" x 42". It's really not all that large.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
There are also alternatives to coroplast but I got a 4 ft x 8 ft sheet of 4 mil coroplast (the thickness recommended for the cage) from a sign store for $15.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
My 4 foot by 8 foot coroplast sheet cost $15.00 at a local sign shop, you can call around for the lowest price. My grids come from Target and was $14.99 a box. On my larger cage it took 2 boxes of the grids. One way you could talk your mom into it would be to see if she would let you do fleece bedding, you would no longer have to buy the expensive shavings. Also, would your mom let you sell the current cage. A lot of people sell their's on Ebay, maybe you could get some money back. Of course I wouldn't list it as a guinea pig cage, maybe list it for a smaller animal like hamsters or gerbils?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Coroplast is ushally $15 or $20 and the grids at Target are $15. The coroplast comes in a 4' by 8' sheet and the grids at Target are 23 panels, which is enough to make a 2x9, or a 2x4 with a lid, and have a bunch left :)

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I got corflute for $15 and a 16 pack of grids for $24 + shipping and GST.

How big is her current cage?

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
I have heard of people hitting incredible sales at linens and things for grids.
Make some call out of the phone book. It won't cost you that much once you add it up.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Throw in another $5 for duct tape and zip ties. You'll also need a box cutter or something to cut the coroplast with. Assume $5 if you don't already have one.

Do you have a tape measure? Maybe you could find a place in the house where the c&c cage will fit.

Who's buying your bedding? Maybe you can save some money by switching to fleece if your not using fleece already.

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
ok, thanks everyone. And sorry for not posting on the correct forum. I hope I can convince her to let me get a bigger cage. Her cage now is 15"x24"
:( not even close to good enough. Also, I have a cat, so how do I make a top for the cage? Can I still use cubes and just snap them together?
Also, thanks 4boys4now, I think she would like the idea of selling the cage on Ebay, which just might convince her :eek:ptimist:

Last edited:

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you do sell the cage on E-bay be sure to put in the description that it is not ideal for permenant use since it is too small and it should be used for a qurantine cage etc otherwise it will just mean another couple of pigs get put into it. Maybe link this site too if you can on E-bay.

Good luck on persuading you're mum!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
We have two cats and had to make it cat proof for our boys. We went to Lowe's and bought a wire shelf, they will cut it to the size you need for your cage. I am actually going there today to buy another one, because we are adding onto our smaller cage that is a 2x4, we'll be making it a 3x4. I'll let you know how much the wire shelf is when we get home this evening. If you'll hit the camera under my name, I have a couple of pictures of my larger 3x6 cage. I have 2 of the wire shelf lids on it. There is a open and shut picture of it. On my current 2x4 cage I have only 1 lid, but on my larger cage we have 2, so it's easier to catch the piggies and change the fleece. Good luck with your mom.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
There is really no set price. It depends on where you live. If you buy grids at Target, they are usually $14.99. The coroplast should not be more than $15 or so. So look around and find the cheapest place you can! I bought my grids at Bed bath & Beyond on Thursday for $12.59 including tax. Good luck with cage building!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Pumpkin_RIP-
Take this advice from someone who has experienced this. I just got Coco the grids on Thursday after three months of trying to convince my parents. Show them some pages from here and tell them that the cage is way too small!I also told them that I would pay for all of it, and I showed them prices from places that I could get the supplies. I used the "How would you like it if you had to live in a small cage like that?"

I HOPE THIS HELPS, AND NEVER GIVE UP! KEEP TRYING!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Pumpkin_RIP-
Take this advice from someone who has experienced this. I just got Coco the grids on Thursday after three months of trying to convince my parents. Show them some pages from here and tell them that the cage is way too small!I also told them that I would pay for all of it, and I showed them prices from places that I could get the supplies. I used the "How would you like it if you had to live in a small cage like that?"

I HOPE THIS HELPS! KEEP TRYING!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
We went to Lowe's this afternoon and bought another wire shelf for the lid of the cage. It was right at $10.00 with tax and they cut it down to size for us for free. I have them on both of my cages and make it very easy to open them and pick up piggies and clean the fleece too.

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
I think you mentioned in another tread that you're thinking about adopting another guinea pig.

Don't sell off your current cage unless you're very sure you won't need it yourself for quarantine or any other purposes (travelling, vet, ...).

Good luck convincing your mom :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.