Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vary Sick Looking Piggy

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
My New Piggy I Got Today at petsmart looks vary sick and i dont know hat to do he has bite marks for the odder piggys and is just a baby he looks vary sick what solud i do my mom is calling the Vet tomrowwo what do i do?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
aaaaaw. petsmart.....many of the pigs there come home with problems. definately take him to the vet ASAP. until then, i dont know how you would treat the bite marks.

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
ok thank you!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
dont take him to a cat and dog vet make sure its for exotic animals!!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Why would you buy a sick pig at Petsmart? He probably has mites among other things. Make Petsmart pay for the vet and stay away from their Banfield in house vets. They know nothing.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
These are the sorts of pigs you get from petstores.

1) Make sure the vet checks the pigs sex
2) The 'bite marks' could be open sores that have been caused by mites (pigs proabably been itching)
3) Don't let the vet take a skin scraping, as they are not really necessary

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
He may have a URI too. It's near the Holidays. The pet mills are rushing to ship out animals for the holiday gift season. They sit in unheated trucks for hours on end in close proximity to other piggies. Disease spreads fast and they usually don't sanitize the cages before they dump them in.

Is his breathing ok? Does he have crusts around his eyes? Is he eating? You may need to hand feed.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
How do guinea pigs get a URI?

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Do not get a pig from a large pet store that has a chain of other stores( and most of the non-chain pet stores, but I have gotten one from a family friend's pet store before, and they definitely know ALOT about the piggies). I bought my current pig, Cocoa, from a pet store, they guaranteed me 'she' was a female, and when I brought a guinea friend home a week later, Cocoa showed some VERY un-girl like behavior. We took him to another pet store(our family friend's) and they told us that he was definitely a boy. Well, I could not get rid of him now, I was way too attached, and I am so happy I didn't, he's the sweetest little boy in the world, but just goes to show you, Petsmart and Petco know NOTHING about small animals.

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
well HE is fine now he just needed some love and i did not know he was sick but know he is fine he LOVES it wen i hold him!

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
my aunt know alot about piggys she showed me how to sex it so its a boy and the piggy that i have is a girl my moms friend told me it was a boy but i looked today and its a girl! i am so happy that its a girl now they can mate once i think he looks better and i will NOT take him to a vet my moms friend took her piggy to the wet and they gave him a shot and he died the next day

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I think people were recommending that you go to a competent cavy vet. There is a list of good and bad meds at www.guinealynx.com. I take my cavies to a competent vet and they are all healthy and they never died the next day.

Most guinea pigs that you buy at pet stores are ill and mis sexed, but you should already know that from this website. Why is your piggie not sick anymore? Are you sure?

Guinea pigs are prey animals. They hide their illnesses well and especially in a new environment.

Are you treating for mites? I'm confused as to what sex your new piggie is. You refer to the piggie as he and she and then say your piggies can mate. Are they the same sex or not?

Why would you breed pet store guinea pigs from pet mills? That could be sick? When you don't even have a good vet and/or refuse to go to a vet?

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
ok the vet gave my moms friend a shot for her piggy and it died the next day and my new piggy is a boy and i have a girl too

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It sounds like that vet was either incompetent (and gave the wrong medicine) or the piggie was really sick. There are competent cavy vets. You have to seek them out and bring a list of good and bad meds which can be printed at www.guinealynx.com.

Are you going to keep them separated then? What sex were you trying to buy? So Petsmart sold you the wrong sex?

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with your new piggie? There are signs of illness on the main page.

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
yes ma'am i have to wait 2 weeks untill they can be put togeter and i will wait longer if he is still sick i will ask my mom to call a wet tomorow

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
If they are the opposite sex, you should not put them together at all.

Sickness especially in cavies just do not go away. They go downhill fast. Tomorrow may be too late.

What exactly is wrong with him? Is he at least eating?

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
i got to go to bed bye.....

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Troll Alert!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I was thinking the same thing.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
No, I don't think she's a troll. Ilovebabe, you are 15 years old, old enough to realise and understand that it is not RIGHT to breed, when there are plenty of pigs in shelters waiting for you to adopt. You better not put them together. See these are the problems you get into with buying from petstores. You've got a boar and sow, that can't live together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.