Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Alternatives to Coroplast flooring

Roxanne

Cavy Slave
I am in the process of planning a C&C cage for my cavy, I have purchased the grids for the perimeter but I am having problems finding coroplast for the floor. There are no sign stores near me and I really do not want to cough up the $$ to order it offline and have it shipped if I can use something else that is readily available to me!
What are alternatives to a coroplast floor?
Thanks ahead of time!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I did find coroplast at a print shop by me. I think it was prints plus. This is what I prefer to use as the bottom

Another option you could do is a thin piece of plywood wrapped in a tarp. The tarp is so the urine doesn't get into the wood and cause bacteria to grow. Plywood is hard so you will want to use plenty of bedding to make it soft and comfy for them!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I have never tried this, but I have heard linoleum works as well. I have not heard the greatest comments on it though. This is because it is very heavy and can put alot of pressure on the grids towards the center of the cage. As with this, you can risk the grids breaking.

But, another alternative is plywood. Use a thin piece of ply wood for the bottom of your cage.

This type is not very common but you could alway take a completley different route.

The children's wading pools (The round Plastic Ones) you could use for the bottom and use a playpen for the top.

The pools are much cheaper than coroplast and the pen will cost about the same if not a little more than the grids.

If you do go with coroplast, there is a section where people can post where they purchased their coroplast and how much it cost etc... They also have the same thing for grids as well.

Maybe these will work! :)

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I have the link to the page.

Where?(broken link removed)

If you don't find anything in your area, try other states that you may be close to and search those.

Most of the time, you may come across places that have large pieces for only a little bit of money.

If you search around you may find better deals!

Good Luck!lol

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Sometimes sign shops are more abundant then is obvious. Check maps.google.com for "sign" near your city. Also check for "plastic". There are plastic stores that sell coroplast.

I recently made my first c&c cage, and I must say, coroplast is worth the effort of getting it. White sheets are very inexpensive, and they can be rolled up in a large wide roll if needed to fit in a small car. The sign/plastic store guys don't usually realize that it can be rolled, but it can. There is another thread documenting the rolling.

As for other options, it depends. How big is your cage? Is it single, multi-level, or have second floor lofts? Is it on the floor or on a table?

You can usually make due with a sheet of plastic, like a shower liner, painters drop cloth, or polyurethane sheeting from the hardware store. This will work pretty good if you are going with cotton+fleece bedding, and
if it is just temporary until you can get your hands on some coroplast. For loose bedding (carefresh, shavings, etc), you really need a solid tray with sides to keep your sanity. A wood box lined with something waterproof as suggested already will work.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you are going to use fleece, a shower curtain or tarp, or anything plastic will work as well.

Econerd

Cavy Slave
I just finished making a new cage for my pig, its all lino, I payed £10 for it today and got loads, it was an off cut and the nice man even threw in an extra bit. Its 1 meter by 60cm and shes loving it. I went to the pet warehouse to see what they had and all there was, was a plastic thing with wire over the top and they wanted £50 for it, I was like, no way. Shes also got a large broccoli box for a bed.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and my cage would not workfor shavings but I have a lot of newspaper, then fleece. I have wood flloors, but if you had carpet, you could put a shower curtain or table cloth underneath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.