Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should we really make our own?

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I am just hoping you can help me decide.

We are getting ready to adopt a little baby from a friends pet store.

If you look at my posts, I had lots of trouble finding one from a rescue.

Anyway, we are only getting one. And rest assured that we understand about the companion aspect of piggies. I know many have one with much luck. It must be the amount of attention they can get. And here, there will be tons of love to give.

So my question is..how long will it take me to build a 2x3 cage..possibly 2x4 although we don't have the room for it. But we'll see..
If it is too time consuming then we will just buy one. They are not too bad in price.
Does anyone also have a straight link to an essential list for this bundle of joy for my son?

Thanks for any suggestions. I am very excited to give this to him for the holidays. He is a good boy and you can even see him on youtube..when you do a search of eight year old recital. He plays the piano and is extremely gifted. I think you will enjoy it.

Thanks again! Will post pics asap.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
I dont see any previous posts from you that explain what the trouble is with adopting. Surely there are pigs available in New York? Have you asked on the boards for help in finding one? Please dont get your pig from a store.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
oh sorry..that was myfirstcavy99 on the other cavy forum.

Anyway, yes..we just ran into the problem of having to get 3 minimum most of the time from the rescues.

We did previously check all over ...online, made a few calls and craigs list. Two hopeful ones I think the owners changed their mind. Promised us a picture but never sent one even after another email from us.

Anyway, being that he is an old friend and does love the animals, we will get it at the store. I am certain we will not be paying for it since he is a really giving person. And I am happy to say that he is a really caring person.

But that's where it stands for now.

But please keep the suggestions as to whether it's worth making because I am a mom of four children and I do not get too much free time.

thanks

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
As said previously, all around New York has lots of homeless guinea pigs. Building a cage is quite easy, and takes a couple of hours. Piggies need to have a companion of their own species. It does not depend on how much love they get from humans.You said you don't have much free time,does that mean only the kids will be giving it attention? Kids get bored fast with pets. Imagine being the only person in the world, and having no other person around you to talk to? That is what a piggie would be like, without another piggie. They are very social animals, and need to play with one of their own. Guinea pigs are not really a pet for children, older children can help with the responsibility, but should not be the sole person to care for it.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Hello.

No, I didn't plan on my eight year old doing everything. In fact, I am probably doing everything but the fun stuff like feeding and playing with the baby. But the cleaning will be alittle my son but the bulk of it will be me. And I'll be happy to do it. My son has been wanting a guinea pig for the longest time. Has read countless books and just wants to spoil this little one. It will be really special for him and I cannot wait.
As far as two..I feel it really is not more of a deal to have two than one. But I don't have the experience, so I will not know unless I do it. I think we will get a female with the idea of possibly getting another in the future. That's the advise someone had given me too. But if we get a second..we will definitely adopt that one.
p.s. I completely get what you are saying about them needing a companion, but do you suggest all or nothing? Meaning get two or you shouldn't be getting a cavy? just curious

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
The only difference between buying a cage and getting the materials yourself is that you won't have to cut/score the coroplast. Even with a cage "kit" you will have to assemble it yourself. I think you are better off getting the stuff yourself as you can probably get enough supplies to make a much bigger cage for the same amount that you would spend on a "kit".

Another advantage to doing it yourself, you have left over material and can more readily make changes if (no, when) you want to.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
What would be a needed change? I am just curious.

Is there a link to get details on list of things to get, where and how to make the cage? If I do it myself, pictures are so helpful. Otherwise I'll need to get my husband to make it..But a few hours someone said, that is too long and then I think I'll probably buy it instead.

thanks for the help

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
If you buy the kit, you will still need to assemble it. There are step by step instructions and pictures on the home page. A few hours is nothing to give up, so your piggie friends can have a decent sized home. alot of us have busy lives too, but can put aside a few hours. I have 3 children, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and foster dogs on top of my pigs, sadly our hamster has passed on. Once you get started on the cage, it gets fun. You can make it a familt event.
It is up to you if you go for all or nothing. We have already said how important it is to have a buddy for your piggie. No matter how much I love to be around my pets, I like the companionship of other humans. Whatever your decision is, please make a c&c cage so your piggie has play room, and not use a store size cage. Store bought cages are way too small, and cost way more. If you make your own cage, the coroplast costs about $20, and a box of grids is between $13-$15. You will need about 2 box's.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Not necessarily needs to be changed, but I think you will find that you will want to do things like make it bigger, add a second level or change the shape. If you look in the galleries (the little camera icon) you will see hundreds of examples of cages that will give you many ideas.

You can find links to the materials and instructions on the home page. Most of us in the US get our grids at Target. Here is what the package looks like:

One package is enough for a minimum cage but if you get 2 or 3, you can use any extras for a floor time pen. One box is $15 normally but sometimes they have them on sale for $13.

The coroplast can be found at most sign shops. I pay $10 for a 4 ft by 8 ft sheet but I have to get 2 at a time since the place I get it from has a $20 minimum purchase.

Here is a my thread that I posted the last time I redesigned my cage.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/30116-how-i-built-my-cage-pictorial.html
This took me about 2-3 hours. As you can see in the pictures I just did this in September and I am already looking at what changes I can/will make.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Wow! Thanks so much for your helpful advise.

I think maybe we can just do it ourselves. I LOVE the second story part of the cage. I'm sure that would be good for the hay and eating area maybe.

I assume they are still able to popcorn if I have a second story?
I just want to make sure they have enough room to do that when they want to.

I am always at target..and I like the fact that I can get it in chrome.

Thanks again. I am going to go look at the examples you suggested.

Regards,
Anabell

socal805

Cavy Slave
Wow, I don't know what to tell you, first of all if you were patient and persistant I know that you could adopt a guinea pig in your area. Personally I think you should get 2 or none at all. I recently adopted a little female pig and she is now living with her 2 new pig sisters. This little pig had lived all alone for her entire life with a family that loved and adored her. The kids would take the pig out every day and play with her.
When I brought her home I couldn't believe the difference between her and my other 2 piggies. She hid in her hidey all day, was underweight and would not eat veggies, was shy and quiet and I did not see a popcorn from her the entire 3 weeks that she was in quarantine. She went about her day as if it was all routine and boring. My heart broke for her thinking how she had spent her entire life as a lonely little pig.
After she was introduced to her new "sisters" it was an immediate difference. She ran laps around the cage and was popcorning all over the place, she started eating every veggie put in front of her and gained 1/2 lb within a week. Now 2 months later she is exactly like my other 2 and happily wheeks for veggies and popcorns and rumblestrutts with her sisters.
Please keep in mind that while you think you are doing the right thing by giving attention to the lone pig, the pig does not crave your attention, it cannot rumblestrutt at you and follow you around, it cannot play tug of war with a piece of lettuce or parsley and it cannot run laps and popcorn with you.
These little creatures are so amazing to watch when they are in their element, when they are exhibiting all of their natural cavy behaviors. I love to hold and pet all of my guinea pigs but what I love more is to watch them be normal guinea pigs!
Please consider getting 2 guinea pigs, or get another animal that does not NEED to be with another of it's kind.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
TWO IT IS!

Ok, thank you so much for your input. The thinking of us providing the love only came to us after other suggested it to me. But you made perfect sense of it all. As far as adopting, we will not be this time. Our friend is great and they do need a good home anyway. So please don't hold that against us.
But yes..I think two are better for that reason. But now how to convince my husband. I guess I'll just tell him the deal and it should be enough. I would have to do the two because otherwise it's none and I don't want to break my dear sons heart.

thanks for your honesty.

Bella

socal805

Cavy Slave
Bella thank you so much for re-considering and deciding to get 2. You and your son will be entertained for hours when you watch your 2 pigs at play. As far as your husband goes, mine thought I was nuts when I wanted any guinea pigs at all...now with 3 he jokes with me and says "I keep checking the cage to see if you've added more". He thinks they are cute and is a great piggy sitter when I have had to leave town. He has also had fun building and designing the cage with me. Maybe you can get your hubby really involved with the cage building process to make him feel like he is part of the plan.
As far as adopting...I won't beat you up for it, but please continue to look through your local shelters and craigslist, you never know what you might find!

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
I too am happy you decided to get two. I recently gave my Maizy a buddy and the difference in both pigs is astounding! My husband thought I was crazy at first with the pigs ans then he saw the C&C when I made it, now he sits by them every night! The cage is easy and fun to build. Extra coroplast is good to have around the house so you can build hidey's, litter boxes, and many other things.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I am glad we are making the choice for two. I told my husband that I could not leave a little piggie to be lonely all it's life.

Anyway, what we are going to do is get the one and bring it home for the Holidays as my son's gift. Then we will go with my son and have him get to pick out the other one. That should be such an exciting time for him.

I am going to go look at the grids and see what I come up with.

thanks again for all the advise. It really helps and feel free to send more our way.

God bless,
Bella

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Maybe you should take your son with you, and get a bonded pair. It is much easier to bring home a pair who are bonded and already live together. But if you do get one at a time, be sure to quarantine the new one for 3 weeks in a seperate room, from the original one. Also there are threads on here on how to introduce piggies, I don't have the link on hand, but they will help you to introduce the two piggies.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Hello. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think there are bonded pairs already? It is from a friends pet store. I have not been there but I assumed all his piggies were all together. I guess I'll see when I get there.

thanks again.

socal805

Cavy Slave
There are bonded pairs in rescues, if you see 2 pigs living in the same cage that are the same sex, who get along well, then that is a bonded pair. A bonded pair of pigs will huddle up together and follow each other around. They might get it little tiffs once in a while but as long as they are not drawing blood and biting each other hard then it's normal. Whatever you do please do not get the pig and have you son "open" him on Christmas morning. It will be very frightning to the pig to have everyone ooohhhhhing and awwwwwing over it all at the same time.
I hate to tell you this and I hope it's not true but if your friend is keeping guinea pigs of both sexes together then that is very very bad. I hope you re-consider getting the pig from your friend. Pet store pigs are known to have many health problems that the pet store owners and employees seem to overlook. I was in a pet store a while back and noticed a little female with crusty eyes. When I said something to the manager she said "oh that pig is not sick, guinea pigs usually have gunk in their eyes and you just wipe it out". This is so wrong and I felt so sorry for the poor little pig.
Anyways I wish you the best of luck.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Just to add to Socal's post. Your friend may be very nice and take good care of the animals in his store, but the animals are more than likely from a pet mill or backyard breeder. I know you would really like to get them from your friend, but would you consider atleast going to the shelter and see if there is a bonded pair that catch your heart there? Unfortunatley, guinea pigs are more likely to get a home from the pet store. People will see them and think they are cute and buy one. So the ones in a shelter sit and wait alot longer for a home. It would make a world of difference to the piggies if you were to adopt a pair.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Hello there. I didn't plan on having the piggie unwrapped. I was going to set the cage up and have everything there for him to see.
I will tell them to not be so excited around the piggie at first. BUT kids will be kids and I can only do so much. We had planned on NOT holding the piggie for a couple of days too. We want her to feel comfortable first. I wish they weren't so easily frightened. It makes me a bit nervous.
As far as our friend. He has the females and males separated. I didn't get info as to where he gets them from. I will ask when we finally see him for this. We have not seen him in over 2 years.
We tried calling shelters and have also contacted several people on Craigslist. They say they want to give them up for adoption BUT then in the end they never return our calls or send a picture. So we kind of gave up on that. We did try for several months though. So please do not get upset at the fact that we will be getting babies from the store. I am sure that we are not the only ones that did it that way. In the meantime, we will keep looking at posts to double check on adoptions that are available in L.I. New York.
thanks for the suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.