Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Getting Ratties!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Yup, Wicked is adopting ratties! Im so very excited. :D

Im going to be adopting 2 boys from the Houston Rat Rescue. There are currently 8 3week old males for adoption. Im probably going to be adopting an agouti and a fawn.. Maybe around mid-December.

Im going to be ordering Harlan food- I think. I am slightly torn between that and oxbow regal rat but supposedly Harlan is the best.

The cage is going to be amazing. I was origionally planning on making a mesh grid C&C cage but oddly my grandpa wants me to get a 'real' cage. He doesn't mind rats in the house but he doesn't want them escaping and running loose- he is a bit scared of that. Its actually a really really good thing for me and the rats! Im going to get a Ferret Nation cage for them! Its 25in x 36in and 64in tall. The greatest cage ever! He is even loaning me the money until after Christmas because- sadly work closes Thanksgiving - Christmas.

This is the cage I will be getting (example pic):

Getting Ratties!

Here is a 'baby proofed' one. Ill have to do something similar for the first few months.

Getting Ratties!

Example pic with doors open:

All example pictures are from here:

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)

I will be trying to use fleece. I hope they aren't chewers.

Um.. Im also ordering some toys.. a hideyhouse, maybe an octiplay ferret house thing (custom type to match the hidey). I want to make some fleece ropes too to run the length of the cage.

Names I thinking about so far.. Open to suggestions..

-Jasper and Jinxx (my faves)
-Spike and Fang (my grandpas faves)
-Dippi and Doodah (my grandmas faves)
-Dimitri and Doyle (my friends faves)
I also like the name 'magic' but cannot think of a second name that would sound cute with it.

CRAZY4guineapig

Cavy Slave
WOW!!!! That is like the best cage ever. I know nothing about rats but I am sure they will love it!

CRAZY4guineapig

Cavy Slave
I named my frogs Ping and Pong, but those aren't great for rats...

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thank you! :)

So far I am stuck on Jasper and Jinxx for names.

I just got a picture of the fawn babies I am going to be choosing from. One out of these 4! I don't know how I am going to choose! I still don't have pictures of mr. agouti rat.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They are adorable. I am up to 7 ratties now.

As far as food Harlan is the best. You can also make Suebee's rat mix and use both the Harlan and the mix plus supplement with fresh veggies and other human foods like cooked rice and pasta, oatmeal, boiled eggs, tuna and many other things.

You can order Harlan Teklad blocks from Kim's Ark Rat Rescue. (broken link removed) They have the blocks in several formulas for $1 per pound plus shipping. The proceeds go to the rescue. I order my blocks from there. They also have other goodies you can order.

If you need any advice or anything on ratties or suggestions on homemade toys just let me know.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
They are so adorable, how are you going to choose? I love rats, I had a male hooded rat when I was a child. He was a loner, I did not know they liked company back then. I would love a pair. What is the price for the ferret nation cages, they are awsome.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thanks Ly, Im planning to order the Harlan Teklad Lab Block #8604 today. I really have no idea how I am going to choose! They are so precious. I hope I am able to meet them the day of adoption.. I was honestly planning on seeing if she could meet us halfway (We are 1.5 hrs from her) but then I wouldn't be able to choose for myself.

Oh.. and the FN cage is $150 - $300 depending on where you order from. Im calling around a few different places today to see if anyone actually has it instore. Tractor Supply supposedly has it and they are really close to us- thats who is first on my list.

Ly- Have you seen these? They are too awesome. Im already putting in a small order..

(broken link removed)[FONT=Tahoma, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Arial]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
They are soooo stinking cute! They look like our girls we had. We miss them so much.

If you've never had ratties before, be prepared, you are in for some serious affection and entertainment!

He doesn't mind rats in the house but he doesn't want them escaping and running loose- he is a bit scared of that.
One of our girls got out of their cage one night (we accidently left the top off). My husband got up to use the restroom and went back to bed. A few minutes later we felt something warm and soft moving around our legs so we slowly (in case it was one of our babies), yet quickly (in case it wasn't) got out of the bed. I pulled the covers back and there was Sissy looking up at us like it was perfectly normal to be out running around and finding Daddy in the middle of the night to follow back to bed!

They are so smart, sweet, clever, and downright lovable! You'll enjoy them a lot. Thank you for rescuing them and giving them such a good, loving home.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thats such a cute story. :love:

We got the ferret nation cage today.. Only $160! I just finished putting it together.. Im going to have to get some galvanized mesh from lowes to babyproof. They will probably be confined to the 1st level until they are old enough to not fit through the bars.. I will try and get pictures later. I had to not attach the wheels so it would fit on the table; the top of the cage reaches the top of our doorway!

Raisintosser

Cavy Slave
Wow are they going to be spoiled in that cage! Very nice!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
PM had sent me a couple of those cubes when I had first gotten ratties. They chewed them up. Now most everything they have is either homemade or from Dollar stores. I make my own hammocks from cloth placemats using grommits and chain or make fleece ones. I make crocheted tunnels for them. I use Dollar store bins for potty areas and sleeping areas. My dad makes ladders from wood for them. I use dowel rods for climbing posts, grids standing against a wall of the cage make neat climbing fences too. I have a couple store bought dog toys I've turned into rattie toys for them to climb on like ropes, pull toys and a toy tire that I made the boys a swing out of.

I will get you a link for a toys page (toys you can make yourself) when I am back on my desktop. I am on the laptop now.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thanks. :D

Im planning on buying one of the cubes, just to try out.. plus a treat blankets.. meant for chewing anyway.. lol

I just finished sewing up a fleece hammock.. It sits nicely in the cage.. I am probably going to make another too with the same material.. Dollar store is a good idea- Ill have to go there tomorrow. Im planning on using an old piggie litterbox (stacking storage) as their litter box..

Have you ever tried Pea Fishing? I saw a video and its SO cute. The ratties seemed to love it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I haven't tried pea fishing. But I do have what I call scavenger bowls. I wrap treats in newspaper, put thin strips of fleece in the bowl and hide things under those and add rats and let them have fun sniffing and finding the hidden treats. I have a large salad bowl and a terracotta bowl that I use for this. My favorite to watch is putting pecans or other hard shelled nuts in the bottom of the bowl and watch the ratties try to pull them out of the bowl. It can get quite comical.

My ratties also love pvc tunnels. They don't fit in the 2" anymore so I got them some 4" ones like the pigs have. We use those for playtime on my bed. And my ratties love baskets, especially the boys. I hang them up in the cage with chain and they like to sleep in them. I usually put a wash cloth or fleece in the bottom for extra comfort and warmth.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
That sounds awesome.

I really need to make more cozies and playtoys. Im thinking about going to the pet supply store to look at bird bells and some other stuff.

I started babyproofing the cage today. Had to get 2 things of wire mesh- came out to $30.. Going to be really great though. I need to call the rescue lady tomorrow to schedule a time to go and get them; they should be ready in about a week.. Im so excited :)

Oh and I did go to the dollarstore. Got a few stacking bins and 7 little christmas stockings. 2 for the rats, 3 for the pigs, 1 for the dog and 1 for the bird. They are small but will fit a few cute things in them.. Ratties christmas present is the cage and all the new toys.. can't afford anything else after this huge shopping spree. lol

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The rat toy idea page is Rat Toy Ideas. I want to make a city out of cardboard boxes that I can use during playtime. I think they'd have a blast with it.

I do playtime either on the couch or on my bed. I just remove the covers from my bed and add an old fleece blanket bunched up in one area, a couple baskets/large bowls, some pvc pipe tunnels and then add me and the rats. I do separate play times for the girls and for the boys. They occasionally pee on the bed but they have never left poo on the bed and they rarely ever accept treats/food when they are out of their cage.

They do love running all over and exploring. That's why I think the idea of a rat city of boxes would be neat.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
That would be awesome. I need to get some good boxes; the only ones we have are filled with cobwebs.. Ill ask my grandma to bring some home from work.

Here is the agouti boy I am adopting..

Getting Ratties!

Im getting them Sunday at 7pm!!!!!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Almost forgot..

2 sets of names Im debating between..

Jasper and Jinx OR Dimitri and Donovan

I think I like Jasper and Jinx slightly better but Dimitri and Donovan would go nicely with my D name theme..

Daphne, Delilah, Dimitri, Donovan and Dudley. lol Nice right to it. That would be Da, De, Di, Do, and Du! All the vowels! Dang.. Hard decision..

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
That little agouti is so adorable. He looks like a Jinx to me!

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Aww..adorable Allie.

The fawns look like Jasper and the agouti like Jinx.

Tophica

Cavy Slave
I know you like those J and D names but what about mischief and magic?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.