Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Umm, my pigs want to say hi.

ilovepigloos

Cavy Slave
Umm, hello, i just adopted my first two piggers, one is daniel, a small,skitterish type, abyissinian with black, white, and brown (I'll hopefully get pictures) and my other is a more lazyish(boy), but sweet american cavy with red,black, and white. They both reside in a (Tell me if there is something bad about the cage) 2x4 cage with 2 pigloo's, a chube, a cuddle cup, hay is on the floor(bad?), a water bottle, cat toys with bells, food dish with oxboy cavie cuisine pellets, timothy hay, and hemp string strung across with a bird toy and bell. I feed then a baby carrot and tomato slice each morning, and refill hay, water, pellets. I refill at 5 o'clock, and feed them lots of lettuce and 2 different veggies every night. (7-8 o'clock)
Im watching them right now wishing i could snuggle with them but i have only had them for 4 days, but they are lighting up to me. If you have any suggestions i would not mind. Oh, i forgot to mention today i am adding fleece instead of aspen so hopefully that'll go smoothly.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are off to a great start. I would get there hay off the ground. If you have an extra grid and some cable ties you can make an easy hayrack. Just check out the gallery.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Hi! Sounds like you really did your research before bringing the kids home. Good job. My boys like to lie in a hay pile, so the evening before I clean out the cage, I dump a bunch on the floor so that they can lounge and lunch. Alot of slaves have a special place for hay on the floor where they can keep it clean and reasonably dry. The main problem with keeping it on the floor is the mold that developes underneath when it gets wet (pigs pee ALOT). I'm sure that your know to be careful as to the kind of lettuce (like no Iceberg) that you give them. One of mine is also skittish, but I just stand at the cage with my hand inside and stroke him, if he lets me. You might want to add a second water bottle, as much for you as for them, as it saves some worry about them going dry. You're off to a fabulous start to the wonderful experience of being owned by the piggies.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Hay on the ground isn't really bad. I have a 'hayroom' which is a 2x3 just for hay.. The pigs love being able to hide under the hay while eating it. As long as you are keeping fresh hay there and taking out the soiled parts its fine.

A great thing to add would be a towel/fleece tent. Just kind of throw a piece of material over one corner of the cage so it drapes down to make a hideyhouse. My pigs love these!

Everything else seems really good. You could also feed lettuce in the morning with the tomato and carrot but thats really a personal choice. As long as they are getting 1 cup of veggies each per day its all good. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
I may of missed it but are either the sow or boar altered?
Sounds like you did your research befor bringing them home which is a great start!

the_jubinator

Cavy Slave
Great stuff, you sound alot like me. When i first decided i wanted a lil' pig (wich i haven't got yet cause my parents won't let me) I just researched and researched the internet.
This website is by far the best one i've come across along with the petlink.com site.
Good Luck and i wish you and your lil' pigs the best :D

ilovepigloos

Cavy Slave
So sorry, i have not been able to get to the computer latley, but the sow is altered, i am probly going to put the hay in a litter box...but again i have to go. Thanks for advice

LonePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the group Pigloo's, it sounds like you are off to a great start.

Everyone has given you great advice! You could also try stuffing a brown paper lunch full of hay, they like to crunch the paper bag and take the hay out.

There is great ideas all over this forum, have fun browsing!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.