Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coro Falling Apart

LonePig

Cavy Slave
Our first cage attempt was a 2x4 grid cage, we made some boo-boo's and parts of the coro were cut all the way through, our second cage went a little better, it was also a 2x4 cage, but the measurements were slightly off.

I recently connected the two cages making one long 2x8 1/2 grid cage. As I said the original cage was a bit botched, and tends to leak despite using yards of tape. Also, I have noticed that the cage is "bowing" out on the long sides.

Is there anything I can do to reinforce the very long cage walls? Anything besides tape that is? I don't use a grid bottom, I placed the coro base on the floor and built the grids around it.
What could I do to reinforce my coro?

-LP

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I used J-clips to keep my sides together. I have an excess of metal clips from building wire cages for other animals. I wasn't crazy about using tape since my cage is right in my living room (LonePig, you've seen it!)

The coro definitely tends to bow in longer cages. I had this issue with my first cage when I scored the coroplast and bent it upward into the score, instead of outward.

Are you using connectors? I use zip ties on the grids and it makes it tighter to the coro and helps it keep its shape. You don't have to use grids under the coro, but if you make a couple sections (left, middle, and right side?)under the coro to keep the grids together that will also help.

LonePig

Cavy Slave
Thanks Slap,

I have a cage cleaning day tomorrow, and I will try some of your ideas.

The boys are getting along, but they are certainly not in love, they tolerate each other though. Expanding the cage has helped a lot. I finally got a kitchen scale and weighed them today, they are both 2lbs 2oz, although I thought the boy (Tigger) who I adopted from you was bigger! I guess they have both evened out!

I have a picture thread in the About Guinea Pigs section, if you ever want to see him! I try to keep them updated! Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.