Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Leaking Water Bottles

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
Over the years, I have found it really hard to find good, non-leaking water bottles. I have bought many bottles, all to have them drip. Even one that I bought for $20 started leaking eventually. Does anyone know of a good, long lasting water bottle or how to stop them from leaking as much? Thanks!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
I dont think there is a single water bottle out there that doesnt drip. LOL. I have a lixit water bottle, flat back, 20 oz and it doesnt drip TOO much. we have a brick under it too, to absorb the water and keep the bedding from becoming wet.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yeh, a brick is a good idea because it will help wear down their nails too

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Try replacing the rubber washer--they're cheap and easy to find. That's what stops the leaking.

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks! Yeah. lol it does seem like all of them drip.....

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Mine only drips the first time you put water in it(like when you fill it up), and if you rattle it. I've had this one for roughly 7 years, just found it again(I lost it for a long time lol) and it works wonders. It's a 32 oz, so I didn't have to worry about getting another one of getting 2 16 oz. water bottles. I guess it all depends on the water bottle- none of mine have ever broken and started to really drip all the time.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
have you guys seen the new water bottles? they attach to they cage (rather than using a wire holder) and you fill them up from the top, rather than taking the bottle off the cage. the metal spout part is also different. it looks exactly the same as the regular water bottles, but it doesnt use any steel balls. instead, it has a long skinny metal piece (little bit bigger than the width of a pen tip) that comes out of the metal tube. it doesnt leak water unless touched by the piggies. i have not had ANY leaks yet.

https://bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/topfill_flip32oz.jpg

this was the best picture i could find. you can sorta see the sipper end.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
I've found a way to stop my bottle from dripping. I don't use the mounting bracket that comes with the bottle to attach it to the cage. Instead, I put the bottle in position against the cage, lean it back about 30 degrees from the cage or until it stops dripping. The I loop a piece of string around the bottle and the other end of the string around the cage, then tie a knot. My piggy doesn't seem to have any problems getting water this way and I've never had any problems with it getting knocked out of position although I do have 2 bottles just in case. Works like a charm. :)

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I have one of those Flip-N-Fill water bottles. They are good, but when my guinea pigs gets some water, the spout ejects a GREAT amount of water, creating a giant mess. My mom seems to like it though... so I guess we'll keep it.
Oh my gorsh that's mncavylover for that link!! That's what I've been searching for forever!!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
No problem. I thought it may help a few people. I'm glad you found it interesting!

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
lol, I said that's instead of thanks. At least you understood what I meant, mncavylover! So I'll say it right; thanks! :)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's fine, Ruby! Actually, I didn't even notice. As you can tell, I'm a bit drowsy today! You're welcome, whether you say that's or thanks. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.