Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece & coroplast???

Ferrickhead28

Cavy Slave
I'm about to start to create my first cage, very excited! I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get some feedback on.

I am thinking about using fleece..how absorbent is this? I dont want my piggies to be walking on a wet surface. I was thinking about using cloth diapers instead. Would love some feedback on the fleece and how well it works. I figured the diapers might be a bit more absorbent. (I also dont have kids and have no clue how the diapers would work so would love feedback on that too!)

I am having a hard time finding coroplast...has anyone purchased any online? If so, where at?

Thanks everyone! I LOVE the pictures and ideas.Keep them coming!
Heather

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Hi Ferrickhead, you need to use something absorbent under the fleece. I've found mattress pads to be the best thing to put underneath. Some people use towels but I find it gets smelly after 2 days with towels so I definately recommend mattress pads and fleece. This is a good thread about fleece https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html
Also have a look at the other sticky thread in the bedding section about different types of fleece.

I found coroplast really easily by phoning all my local sign makers and opting for the cheapest. They all sell it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Fleece itself isn't absorbant. The reason many use fleece is because it "wicks" or pulls moisture through itself to whatever is under it. Thus you must have something absorbable underneath it. There have been a couple members who've used cloth diapers under fleece but I really don't know how much success they've had with that method. Many use mattress or crib pads under. Some use towels. Some use newspaper but newspaper would need to be changed on a daily basis vs. mattress/crib pads that would only need changed once per week when you do a full cage cleaning.

The other thing with fleece is that it needs to be spot cleaned at least once daily to pick up the poos.

There are downfalls to fleece in such that hay sticks to it so one needs to get creative with how to put in hay when using fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.