Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Too Big???

ballajames33

Cavy Slave
Can a cage be too big for a guinea pig? I only have one guinea pig (im working on convincing my mom to allow me to get another) and i just built a 3x5 cage for him, is there such a thing as too much??? And would it be better to have a 3x5 cage or a 2x6? or does it not matter?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Not really. It still isn't very big compared to the territory they would run in if they were wild pigs. I let mine run around a 12'x24' horse stall when it isn't too cold or hot for them in the stable. With a large cage they just may not use all the cage space all the time but that's not a bad thing.

If you can clean it a 3 grid wide cage is better than 2 grids in my opinion. I found it too difficult to reach the back though so I compromised, overlapped the grids, and have a 2 1/2 grid wide cage.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
No, a cage can never be too big! Mine is 89 square feet, and my piggies love every inch of it. :p Both a 3x5 and a 2x6 would be plenty big enough for two piggies, but a 3x5 provides more space since it is 15 square grids of space instead of 12 square grids of space. One issue with the 3x5 is that it can be harder to reach across for cleaning and to pick up your piggies.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
There is always the "getting in the cage with them" approach to that though! If I had a choice between 2x6 and 3x5, I would also go 3x5. As envisionary said, it's a little more space. And for just one or two pigs, I've discovered that larger cages are a very good excuse for more toys.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There is no such thing as too big of space, my 2 boys have a 38.5 sq. ft cage :D Bigger is always better ecspecially with 2 or more boars.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Bigger is always better!!

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I believe the more room the better. If trying to reach for a pig and cleaning aren't an issue for you then go bigger or do both (2x6 grid with a 3x5 on the end or try doing a loft with another level. The creativity is endless (and fun). For me, If I added more room, can get more pigs (and toys).
Good luck
luv
Lynne

MissCin

Cavy Slave
Like everyone has said; bigger is better! I bet your baby has a blast in there, but he would have more fun with a piggie friend. Good luck on convincing your mom!

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
I agree with everyone, that you can never give piggies too much space. But here's a suggestion...

If your piggie is really scared, give him LOTS of hidey spots, try boxes, towel tents, hidey huts, pigloos, just lots of places where he can feel safe. Then as he begins exploring the cage more, take them out one at a time, until there are only one or two. It might help boost his little piggie confidence! :)

Also, piggies are much braver with a buddy, they very much like the buddy system! My Sukki is very adventerous. We just added a second floor loft, and as soon as I put them in, she ran right up the ramp and started doing the happy piggie popcorn dance on her second floor loft, the others came in fast pursuit to see why she was so happy, now they zoom up and down, just for fun! :) I think you have mentioned getting a buddy, its a wonderful idea and a perfect solution to your shy piggie. 3x5 is large! Maybe even go out on a limb and get 2 buddies! :-D I have 4 piggies, hehe!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
And for just one or two pigs, I've discovered that larger cages are a very good excuse for more toys.

Careful, it's also a good excuse to get more piggies! ;) That's how I ended up with eleven...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.