Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

ASPCA giving the wrong impression on guinea cages...

ortal

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Take a look at the bottom of the cost list for guinea cages. I didn't know we were supposed to keep cavys in a 20 gallon fish tank. The sad thing is people go to this site thinking they are getting the best pet info out there.

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh...I really hope people do more research than just following that info!

I just realized something. I don't know if it's because of the browser I'm using, but if you look at the other pets, it has the same footnotes. For example, if you click on "cat" it has the same 20 gal. aquarium note.

It also doesn't list veggies on there. :(

Edit: I was thinking, at least they give people an idea of the costs of a guinea pig, because a lot of people think they're super duper cheap. Meh.

Last edited:

TayleesFriend

Cavy Slave
That's insane! Can't someone email them and say something? A GP in a 20 gallon tank is bad enough, but a cat!

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
I think it's a glitch-people aren't stupid enough to put a cat in a 20-gal tank, are they!?!?!

Oh boy.

I think it's a generic "cage" listing for small mammals and fish.

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
I just emailed them, basically stating that they need to look into the needs of individual animals before posting inaccurate information on their website.

I doubt it will do anything, but it can't hurt.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I think the footnote is pretty clear. It's Cage/Aquarium4... the note "4" is supposed to go with aquarium... for fish. Denoting that the cost they quote is a 20 gallon aquarium for fish with an air pump, filter, gravel, etc. Not even the dumbest guinea pig owner thinks you need a filter and air pump for a guinea pig.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Agreed. And if you click on the "guinea pig" specific page, the only recommendation is a cage/aquarium with no specifications. Basically, it is a poorly designed site with a very misguided presentation and difficult-to-follow presentation of pet care. Sad, but typical!

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
It's also woefully inadequate for birds, too- no vet visit!?! $75 for a cage? I don't know what kind of pathetically small barely-adequate-for-a-finch cage they are going to stick that poor Jenday in, but at least get the bird to the vet! They can get sooo many diseases and they hide them really well- only an annual "well-bird" exam will help detect something like egg-binding, infection, liver disease, etc.

Grrr....

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.