Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Tipping over food dish?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
The past few days I've come home only to see that my guinea pig tipped over her food bowl. She tips it over and the food sits on their fleece. It's really annoying having to refill their bowl so much. Does anyone have some tips on keeping Java from tipping over her food bowl? Its a plastic bowl that has a ledge so she doesn't do it because she can't get any food.

Bear Bear

Cavy Slave
That happened to me as well. I switched to a heavy ceramic bowl for reptiles (because they are generally shallow) and it hasn't happened since.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
That happened to me as well. I switched to a heavy ceramic bowl for reptiles (because they are generally shallow) and it hasn't happened since.
I don't know that, that would work because my pigs are very strong and knock over lots of things.I think it might also be the food. I switched to a different food recently so it has a bit of their old food with the new food so they get used to it but apparently Java only likes the old food because thats all I see her eat.But that doesn't really make sense because they've had the new food for over a week now.And started tipping the bowl thursday.

Bear Bear

Cavy Slave
Uh oh! Piggie protest!

I'm sorry, but the ceramic bowl is the only thing i can think of at the moment. Perhaps they look at it to be a newfound plaything? Try adding new toys that they can flip over without consequence. My piggies have recently learned they can flip over those rainbow colored logs that are bendable. I swear I fix it about a dozen times a day, but whatever keeps them happy!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Uh oh! Piggie protest!

I'm sorry, but the ceramic bowl is the only thing i can think of at the moment. Perhaps they look at it to be a newfound plaything? Try adding new toys that they can flip over without consequence. My piggies have recently learned they can flip over those rainbow colored logs that are bendable. I swear I fix it about a dozen times a day, but whatever keeps them happy!
It's jsut Java who does that. I've learned from feeding them using a scoop that was an apple sauce container that Java really likes those. So I'll give her one to play with. Java also tips over their litter box alot when she gets in and out of it.

Bear Bear

Cavy Slave
I had the problem with the litter box tipping, but it was because of the weight of the piggies. I purchased a huge bag of kiln dried pine pellets (the one for horses). That stuff is heavy, but tough on the feet so I use a thick layer of fluffy Aspen on top. Seems to work.

Does she flip it on purpose? or does it happen when she's walking all over it?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I had the problem with the litter box tipping, but it was because of the weight of the piggies. I purchased a huge bag of kiln dried pine pellets (the one for horses). That stuff is heavy, but tough on the feet so I use a thick layer of fluffy Aspen on top. Seems to work.

Does she flip it on purpose? or does it happen when she's walking all over it?
It's hard to tell if she flips the box over on purpose but its the only one in the cage with that design. Its a litter box I got from the petstore like 4 years ago.All the others are homemade.I think for the food bowl she just likes to make me have to clean.Same with the box because there bedding in it that makes a huge mess on fleece.

Bear Bear

Cavy Slave
Looks like she has you trained! Maybe she wants you to redecorate. "Oh my! That litter box DOES NOT go with my cute fleece and toys, mum! Please change it!" Hehe!

I think "huge mess" is equivalent to the guinea pig species... Either that or you have one that is plotting to take over the universe. I'm convinced mine are in phase 2 of the planning process.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Looks like she has you trained! Maybe she wants you to redecorate. "Oh my! That litter box DOES NOT go with my cute fleece and toys, mum! Please change it!" Hehe!

I think "huge mess" is equivalent to the guinea pig species... Either that or you have one that is plotting to take over the universe. I'm convinced mine are in phase 2 of the planning process.
I have to redecorate today bacause we are making the cage to a 2x3.Yeah the litter box doesn't go with her fleece. It's 4 years old and is/was Angelicas. She doesn't like the fact that it's green and doesn't match her pink blue and purple cage.I think mine is planning her escape so she can go get married to Cosmo her boyfriend who's also my kitten.Next time we go to the store I'm buying a new color of fleece for the cage. I found a 50x60 blanket of fleece for 5 dollars at the grogcery store.So maybe Java will like the new fleece.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Get one that attaches to the side of the cage. This is the first one I had

Then I got this style but the one I got was too big and I had to put a small bowl in it so the boys could get their food.

And here are a few others

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Next time we go out to the store I might get one.I wouldn't want to not use the current bowl because I've had it for 5 years!It's special to my older piggy. lol But I'll try one.

Dark Rosaleen

Cavy Slave
I had the bin feeder for a while and mine weren't able to tip it over. But it was also harder for them to get to the food. I agree that a very heavy bowl might be the best option.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I had the bin feeder for a while and mine weren't able to tip it over. But it was also harder for them to get to the food. I agree that a very heavy bowl might be the best option.
What I did was I took their veggies bowls and put them on top of each other. The bowls are heavier and harder to tip over.

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
You could get one with a base that is wider than the top then they wouldn't be able to tip it over.
A bit like this b ut I am sure you can find them in ceramic.
Tipping over food dish?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
You could get one with a base that is wider than the top then they wouldn't be able to tip it over.
A bit like this b ut I am sure you can find them in ceramic.
Tipping over food dish?
I have that bowl. My old cat food bowls seem to work better. Theres 2 and they are heavier and deeper.

WheeksUnlimited

Cavy Slave
I had that problem too, even though I have ceramic bowls. My one gp, Scotchie, loves to put his paws on the rim to eat. So I use the good ole standby-Duct Tapelol

The bowls are now firmly attached to the coroplast and no tipping.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I had that problem too, even though I have ceramic bowls. My one gp, Scotchie, loves to put his paws on the rim to eat. So I use the good ole standby-Duct Tapelol

The bowls are now firmly attached to the coroplast and no tipping.
lol Well the cat bowls are working well they haven't tipped them over.

Love4Piggers

Cavy Slave
I agree with TX, getting one that attaches to the side of the cage was the solution that worked for me. (I use the gravity bin feeder.) Just be sure you put it down low, so they don't have any trouble reaching the food.

Good luck!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I agree with TX, getting one that attaches to the side of the cage was the solution that worked for me. (I use the gravity bin feeder.) Just be sure you put it down low, so they don't have any trouble reaching the food.

Good luck!
The cat bowls work fine they haven't tipped them over since like a week or more since I put them in there.

Love4Piggers

Cavy Slave
That's great. So glad you found something that works!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.