Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Another Modification

Trivman2000

Cavy Slave
Hey everybody. I just introduced Gomez and he is getting along great with Piggles and Scruffles.
I had a 2x4 cage to start, then added two 1x2 lofts connected by a bridge. It looked cool and all but was so hard to clean. Last time I cleaned, it took me about an hour and a half (time I won't have when school starts). It was also difficult to access the pigs.
I tore it down and built a 3x5 out of grids. I measured but there is one problem. I would only be able to have 2 inch sides on 2 cage walls since coroplast comes in 4x8 sheets. How do some of you other people with 3 grids width deal with this issue? Thanks so much in advance.

Personally I think 2 inch sides is just fine, especially if you are using fleece and not bedding. The sides are really just for keeping things (bedding/poos/urine) in the cage. If you are using bedding like aspen or carefresh, it will get kicked out very easily so there will be some extra clean up around the cage.

Well I am thinking about switching back to bedding once school starts because I will be so busy and fleece is much more work. What are some ideas to make the walls higher so I don't get bedding all over the place?

Could you check at sign stores for scraps of coroplast? That's what I did when I expanded my cage, and just ducktaped the scraps to the other pieces.

How do you maintain the fleece? I'm surprised because I don't think fleece is more work, I think it is less work that needs to be done more often. My cage is ridiculously huge and I'm trying to cut back on as much cleaning time as I possibly can since I am in full-time college during the school year.

Oh, and instead of using a higher coroplast wall you could switch to mesh grids to keep the bedding off of the floor. I think they actually look better as well, and they keep things much cleaner. I bought mine here: Mesh Cubes LD01-769 (Silver), but I'm sure you can find them at other places if you ask around.

If you are worried about having higher sides there are a couple things you can do. One is like what heather said and get more coroplast and use duct tape or packing tape and tape it to the existing sides to make them higher or you can do the same with cardboard. The cardboard may have to be replaced more often but it's an alternative.

I have a 3 x 5 base which is a bit patched here and there, I was wondering if you turned the coroplast the other way around - so you join the lengths rather than the widths together - if you'd have enough excess to make the sides higher all around. I'm not so good unless I actually have the stuff to work with - it may not work atall - but a suggestion nonetheless!

Ditto the cardboard if you cant get more coroplast (though if you bought a third sheet, you'd not only have enough for higher sides, you could make all kinds of interesting tunnels and hideys out of the excess!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.