Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ianthe

Cavy Slave
Hello to everyone. Around three months ago I went to the pet store to get fish supplies with my brother and his fiance. And, well, silly me had to go looking at all the furries. (At the time I did not know that buying from pet stores was a bad idea...) I fell in love instantly with a beige little piggie, sleeping on his side with arms outstretched. Knowing that my mother would disapprove, but being so in love I just couldn't leave him...I purchased my dear Butters and beginning supplies, including small cage. I did a bit (not much) of research and decided to get him a pal. So a couple weeks later I went back to the same store and got Julius. I moved them both into a 6 sq. ft. ferret cage that my SIL gave me for the occasion, which seemed plenty big at the time.

Now that they have both doubled in size, requiring more food and space, I see that they truly do need a bigger cage. There are also occasional squabbles, stare downs, etc. though no serious fighting. As soon as I can get myself around to getting the supplies and such, I want to make them a cage at least twice as big as their current one. I have a large bedroom and there is plenty of floor space for this.

I do take them out for floor time frequently. Julius follows Butters around exploring, and gets very upset indeed if he looses sight of him. Also I can get Butters to follow me if I walk slow enough. Here are my babies, Butters being on the left:
Hi

I realize that I am new at this and probably doing many things imperfectly or even outright wrong. But I want to do good by my piggies and I am willing to learn.

1st beginners question: must there be a 24/7 supply of hay? I have a little hay wheel that fully packed can last them 5-6 hours. Does it always need to have hay in it, or is it ok for them to go stretches without? Recently I have just been filling it once every day.

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! It's great that you are going to make a bigger cage for you two, may I say adorable, boys.
In answer to your question, yes they do need a constant supply of grass hay. The piggies like it best if you just plonk a load into their cage - they run through it, sleep in it, hide in it and eat it. Pigs ADORE hay!

Ianthe

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the welcome and for answering my question. I used to plop a bunch down in the corner, but it seemed so messy, and especially after I had to buy them a bigger pigloo (which greatly cut down on space) I wanted it to be neat and tidy. But I guess I'm not the one who has to live there lol, so I will go back to that. :)

My head is simply swimming with ideas for how I would like to construct the new cage! The photos here is the gallery sure are inspiring. And then they can have a really huge pile of hay!

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Haha! Yes, it can get a bit messy at times...well all the time. Since they are in a small cage at the moment, may I suggest that you get a larger hayrack that fits on the side of the cage? It needn't be expensive either, some people have bought a cookie rack from a cheap shop, bent it and stuck it in the cage!
If not, here are a few ideas:
Tissue box:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2918/cat/520/si/bent/perpage/12
On the outside of the cage:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3981/cat/520/si/bent/perpage/12
Bird feeder:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5584/cat/520
Fride shelf "space saver"
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6984/cat/520
Bent grid (or cookie rack ;) ):
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7140/cat/520

Hope that help just a bit, and good luck on finding and building the new cage - the cages on here that people have built are certaintly very imaginative, unfortunatly I had to stick with your standard 2x3!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Grass hay helps to maintain their teeth and help their digestive system. It is very important that they have access to grass hay 24/7. They also need the minimum of 1 cup of veggies per day each. There is a chart in the diet and nutrition forum listing all the veggies they can have and how often each can be fed. Lastly they need a good high quality pellet with stabilized Vit. C.

Ianthe

Cavy Slave
Oh those are some imaginative hay holders...I must be a truly uncreative person, as I never even thought of making accessories myself, let alone cages, before finding this site.

Thanks Ly :) "Very important" is very important indeed so I will be sure form now on that that always always have some hay. Unfortunately I did not know previously, before finding this site yesterday, how important veggies and fruits were... thinking of them as a treats rather than staples. In fact there was a pamphlet that the pet store (I know, evil :( ) gave me... didn't mention a thing about them, I was led to believe that pellet was the only ESSENTIAL in their diet. But it's my fault as I shoud've done more extensive research earlier, and now that I know I'll do my best to be a responsible parent. They got some apple, tomato, carrot, and cilantro earlier this morning (all that we had) and I will go out veg shopping later.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
In fact there was a pamphlet that the pet store (I know, evil ) gave me... didn't mention a thing about them, I was led to believe that pellet was the only ESSENTIAL in their diet.
Most petstores don't know much about taking care of cavies properly. Pellets are actually the least part of any piggies diet.

Just go easy with fruits as they are high in sugars and pigs are prone to diabetes. Twice a week is good for fruits.

Ianthe

Cavy Slave
So I am back with tons of fresh veggies...should I start giving them 1 cup/day each right away, or introduce it at a slower pace? Sorry if that is mentioned somewhere already in a thread, I looked but didn't find it.

Ianthe

Cavy Slave
Oopsie I just remeasured and their current cage is about 4.5 ft sq...yikes. I am planning I think on a 2x4 C&C, with maybe an upper deck later. Going out on Wednesday to get the supplies. So glad I found this site. :D

So far they are liking carrots, romaine, spinach, and cilantro. Won't touch the peppers, tomatoes, or zucchini yet but I am still giving it to them.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Looks like you are well on your way to being a good slave to your piggies. You should never allow their hay rack go empty. Variety is the spice of life for piggies when it comes to their huge tummies. Take it slow when introducing new food items. You don't want them to get an upset tummy. I feed my girls 2x a day, morning and evening. Piggies can't store Vit. C so feeding twice a day helps to insure a supply of Vit. C through out the day. How old are your piggies? If they are over 6 months of age go easy on the high calcium foods like Kale and collard greens. Spinach is high in oxalates so go easy on that also. Here is a link to a chart that will help you with feeding your piggies. Please take a moment to look it over. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

Ianthe

Cavy Slave
Thanks piggersrule! I printed out the chart and took it with me to the store tonight, I think I bought too much though, it will probably go bad before they have a chance to eat it all. Oh well, I guess in time I will learn a good routine for how much veg to buy at once...

Now they have a 16 sq ft open cage of cubes (3x4), but without the coroplast yet. Just a waterproof picnic blanket and then fleece over. And a potty place of carefresh and hay that to my delight they are actually using.

They also have a new brother, Rupert. I am not allowed to go to the pet store without a chaperone anymore. :ashamed: I have an impulse control problem. Feel free to berate me if you need or want to.

But they are all very happy in the new digs, which makes me happy. Really glad I found this site.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Butters is so cute, and such a cute name, too. :)

Welcome to the forum.

(Of course, your other pig is cute, too. For some reason, though, I find Butters particularly appealing.)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Just a waterproof picnic blanket and then fleece over.
Just want to mention that what is under the fleece needs to be able to absorb the urine. Fleece wicks the urine to whatever is under it if it can. If it's something that won't absorb, then the fleece will stay wet. An easy solution would be to put some newspaper between the fleece and the blanket.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
You can also use old bath towels to put under the fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.