Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We lost our Peaches today...

Eydie

Cavy Slave
A strange story... I bought these two guinea pigs that we named Peaches and Cream, from Petco. We've only had them about 6 weeks. My daughter thought that Peaches was pregnant, so we took her to the vet. The vet said he saw no signs of pregnancy. Cream, however had some respiratory issues, so we got some antibiotics for her. Today, Peaches was having some very labored breathing and making some "clicking" sounds. I took her to the vet. The vet assistant began taking her temperature in the butt. All of a sudden, this weird stuff came out of her. Turns out to be pus. After that Peaches looked like he was dying. She layed down on the table and appeared to be dying. The vet scooped her up and brought her in the back. She came back about 10 seconds later and told me that she wanted to die. She could do tests, blood, etc... and try to save her. I said do it, of course. She left and came back about 10 seconds later and Peaches was gone. I couldn't believe how fast she went. I'm wondering if it was too much stress taking her temperature. From the looks of the pus, she had a serious infection. I'm sorry to gross anyone out. Has anyone had this kind of experience? We will miss Peaches. She was so beautiful. Cream is very lonely.

I'm sorry for your traumatic experience and loss of Peaches.

It wasn't the taking of her temperature that killed her. It was the breeder, buncher (middleman) and petstore that did. By the time she got to you she was already very sick and being a beginner you just didn't notice. Guinea Pigs are very good at hiding illness and pain.

Did the vet say anything about Pyometra? That is what it sounds like to me. If it was then the pus didn't come out of her anus but out of her vagina from her uterus. Pyometra is a serious infection of the uterus and an advanced case will kill an animal.

If it wasn't the it could have been an intestinal infection. Her poop would have been very soft, like diarrhea though and probably have a green or yellow color or discharge to it.

The important thing now is to get Cream to a good exotic vet. She needs a full physical to insure she isn't ill as well.

I hope that once you are ready to get Cream a new friend you will chose adoption instead of buying. We can help you find some sweet animals in your area in need of a loving home like yours. By going though a rescue you also have a much better chance of getting a healthy animal.

A thought just came to me. What antibiotic did the vet give you for her respiratory problem? What was the name and the dose amount/frequency of dosing?

I agree with VJ, it sounds very much like your piggie may have had some issues with pyometra. The other possibility was that she was pregnant but had problems with the babies and they died and were stuck.

The word "Pyometra" sounds very familiar. She mentioned that the pus might have come out of her uterus. At one point, we thought she was pregnant as I mentioned, but according to our vet, he felt that she was not. Maybe she was sick when I bought her. One of her eyes was slightly runny, but I was taking her sister and I didn't have the heart to leave her in that horrible place. (Petco) They say not to buy a pet that has any of the "tell tale" signs of illness, but.....

The medication that Cream is on is Baytril and the dosage is .007 cc's. I think.. I know it was a very small amount.

I am in contact with a rescue in my area that has some babies up for adoption. I really don't usually get pets from the petstore, but I happen to be in Petco getting the supplies for the guinea pigs and I made the mistake of going over to the guinea pig enclosure. It was all over from there!

I know that Cream is very lonely... I feel so bad. I was reading all these other posts of other GPs that have passed and started to cry. At least some of them were years old. Mine only made it to 6 weeks. There's something wrong with that.

Phew, good. I was afraid your vet may have prescribed an antibiotic toxic to GPs and may have inadvertently killed her. Baytil is fine though. So I'm thinking it was Pyometra. She probably was pregnant and either the babies died and she retained them or they were aborted and you either didn't see them because they were still very small or she ate them. Either way it ended up in tragedy.

I know you have already learned the hard way but I have to say it again. Please, no more petstore or breeder pigs. The only way we can stop them from harming more animals is to not support them or the Breeders they buy from.

Still, Cream should have a vet check. She could be harboring am upper resperitory infection (URI) especially since it sounds like Peaches had one.

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of poor Peaches :(

I hope that Cream stays healthy and can find a new friend soon.

Sorry about Peaches. I'm sure you looked after her well when she was alive.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Peaches did not have to die in a Petco aquarium and that is a GOOD thing. I'm sorry she's gone but at least she was loved before she died. I hope that soon you will be ready to look for a Coffee or a Strawberries to go with your Cream. Can you tell I love the names you gave them?

I think that you should do what I have to do: NEVER go into Petco. Never look at their guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.