Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

DYI Bedding?

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
My husband and I just got out first guinea pigs a few weeks ago. They are two males, very cute, and very fun. They came with a C&C cage and my husband hated it, but we found a cage today at a small mom and pop pet store that was HUGE. Bigger than the C&C cage they came with, and my husband can easily add a second level to it. So my husband spent the 100 dollars to get it. Now we can move them out of our spare bedroom into the general "living" area of the house because the cage has a top, and we have cats.

Now, he doesn't want to have to worry about any odor. The people we got them from sent Pine shavings with them. That didn't last long since I am allergic to pine and if the smell bothered me that much, I can only imagine how it bothered them being right down in it. So, we bought a HUGE bag of the washed Aspen bedding, that has the dust and odor removed. Problem...It doesn't remove any odor from urine. I have been scooping the wet daily, and you can still smell it, and to be quite honest the bedding itself stinks. A natrual stink I guess.

So, we want to use up the rest of the bag, but want to know what we can mix it with. We were looking at the Carefresh stuff, but it just seems so expensive because of how often I have been cleaning their cage out and how big this new cage is, it seems that we would just tear through it.

Does anyone know if any DIY bedding? Like some how shredding paper, or doing something to it to make it like that carefresh stuff? I was debating getting puppy pads to put underneath the shavings, but I don't know if that would really help. It could also be that they are in a room with the door shut, so it may be stuffy. I just know my husband won't stand for them being in the living room if they stink. We have three dogs and three cats already and smell wise you can't tell, so I have to be just as clean with them. If not does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy good quality bedding for low prices? Thanks so much in advance!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
What's the brand name of the cage? I've never seen a single pet store cage bigger than a 2x3 C&C, it would be nice to know!

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
What's the brand name of the cage? I've never seen a single pet store cage bigger than a 2x3 C&C, it would be nice to know!

We haven't set it up yet...I have it at my parents house just because I have a little car and had to bring some other stuff home. When I pick it up tomorrow I'll look at the name on it. I didn't see a brand name on it when I looked at it at first because I was going to try to search online for it, but I'm sure there has to be something somewhere on it. I was shocked. All the ones I had seen were the "My first home". We went into a shop (Petco) and asked if they had guinea pig cages and this guy did everything but cram the cage up my butt to try to get me to buy one of those "My first home guinea pig starter kits". I was like "Are you kidding me? I wouldn't put two hampsters in it let alone two male guinea pigs" he swore that was more than enough room for them, even when I put both a pigloo and a hut in the display one just to prove the point. I figured we'd have to make one, so I was pleasantly surprised when we found one large enough. I was not putting them in something smaller than the C&C cage they are in now.

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
It looks exactly like the Large Marchioro cage but it is larger. If there is a name on it I will post it, though. My husband said he thinks it's 2x4, or 2.5x4. I'm so excited by it he thinks I am nuts. It barely fit into my little suzuki aerio, I had to put the seats down.
Guinea Pig Cages

C&K

Cavy Slave
Make sure you measure the cage from the bottom of the tray, at the smallest part, not the top or the wire frame. As the bottom is where they live!

What size was the C&C they came with? 2x3?

How old are the pigs?

As for bedding, shredded paper really does not work. If you can afford it, carefresh is the best. Aspen shavings are pretty good for them. You could also try newspaper pellets (like yesterdays news, just get the cat ones, no need for the small animal ones that cost more) or wood stove pellets (although I find the Wood Pellets get very saw dust like which is not good for them).

I am not using them right now, but may go back to the yesterdays news for the summer, I find it really traps the odour well. I used to use fleece on one half of the cage so the pigs had some comfort too. The news seemed to lock away odours from the fleece side too.

Personally I got a good lead on Aspen Shavings where I live right now (Ontario) so I think I may try that...

I find odour control to be a highly personal thing. The one thing everyone agrees on though is regular cage cleaning, (even daily spot cleans) and giving the pigs as much room as you can.

Best of luck.

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
Yeah I know. The second we got home I was comparing it to their C&C cage. I did NOT want them downsizing. They upsized. This was the only place I have seen one this big in a pet store.

They came with a 2x3 cage. They are boys...one is two, one is one. The one year old is very small, probably half the size of the two year old. The two year old is actually on the smaller size himself, compared to average size that i have seen. About the one year old, I don't know if he just isn't finished growing, or is just a runt. We have a "play pen" we use to give them floor time as well.

I was actually going to post a question about the yesterdays news. I saw the cat one, and the small animal, and rabbit, and didn't know the difference. Out of the cat one do you use scented or unscented? I saw they had the two kinds, I was going to go back and get some. Can you sprinkle baking soda in their cage? Or will that irritate them?

Also...those edible huts. They came with one, are those okay for them? The only thing I ever see them eat is the roof, which is made out of hay, the base is some honey thing.

caribear

Cavy Slave
I am allergic to the wood shavings so they are now out for us. We just starting using something called Hunt Club bedding. We got it at Southern States. It is small cubes of card board. It is $5.00 for a large bag so it is about the same as pine bedding costs. Less even then the aspen.

I am not crazy about the ease of spot cleaning with this Hunt Club bedding but it doesn't seem to have a problem with the odors. So, that's just a thought for something you could try.

I will not buy the carefresh, I think it is too expensive just for them to pee/poo in. The bags around here are very small & about $8.00/bag. That is nuts! Good luck with finding something that works.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.