Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello,

Jurden

Cavy Slave
Hello,

New here. I have recently aquired three rescued guinea pigs. I have never owned a guinea pig before and have fallen in love with them. They are all girls. One brown- Rosie, and two black mother-daughter bonded pair with allergies. These two I was originally going to foster for a lady who rescues animals, but because of there special needs I want to make sure they are well taken care of so they are now part of the family.

I have been browsing these pages since I got them. I have built them a fleece lined c&c cage with litter boxes. It seems to be helping the one with the allergies. I am so relieved.

Pictures to come soon!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You seem to be off to an awesome start! I would love to see some pictures of your girls, and cage. If you need any specific help, feel free to ask.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
That's great that you are taking them on with allergies. Do you know what their allergies are? Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Jurden

Cavy Slave
I was told they were allergic to dust and the daughter has it the worst. Her eyes get pussy and she has problems breathing (especially at night) I have read a lot about resperatory problems on these sites. I was assured that it is just allergies. The mom has been with her the whole time and is fine. About 8 years ago I rescued a 5 week old kitten that was abandoned by its mother with the same symptoms. She had a respiratory infection which was treated but her eye never completely cleared up.

She was much worse in the store bought cage they were kept in. The c&c fleece lined cage seems to have made a huge difference. They have only been in there about a week. My first girl - Rosie - is trying to show her dominance towards them and tends to nip and chase. So I put Rosie in the store bought cage for 3 days and the girls in the large cage to see if it would make a difference. It did - for the first few hours. She still chases a little but isn't quite as bad.

I had to add a second story to the cage to make it big enought for all three. However, Rosie seems to like the upstairs and the girls like the bottom and don't know how to use the ramp yet. So even though they are in the same cage, they are separate. Rosie seems to like her space.

All I know so far about the two is that when they were rescued they were both serverly underweight and that the mom is (was) a show quality pig. She has an ear tag -- can these be removed?

Last edited:

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, congrats for rescuing three piggies, especially ones with special needs. I'm sure they'll be much better off with you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.