Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Toe nail trimming?

Kpup28

Cavy Slave
I have been looking into adopting another boar to accompany my current boar, Skooter. However, the adoption aplication is has very extensive questions like "What brand of food will you be feeding the guinea pig?" and "Please give two references". I find all this to be good, they even make sure you either have a piggie or adopt a pair, and they sell C&C cages or advise people to make their own. But one of the questions was "Will the guinea pig's nails be trimmed and by who?" :confused: I had no idea that guinea pig's nails needed to be trimmed. If they do, does anyone know how often should it be done and if it must be done by a veterinarian?

Patch the Pig

Cavy Slave
You can do it yourself, you just have to be careful because there is the "quick" (basically a vein) that runs through the nail and if you cut the quick it will bleed (you can use cornstarch to stop the bleeding but it's still pretty scary!). You can usually see the quick easily (it is the pink line inside of the nail). Guinea Lynx :: Nail Clipping has very good information on trimming nails. They do have to be trimmed regularly or they will curl under into the foot. I clip one of my pigs nails but the other one I take to the vet because her nails are black and I can't see the quick at all. She is also more squirmy.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They probably just want to make sure you're aware they need to be trimmed or they will curl into their footpads. I have seen some bad nails. It isn't too hard to learn to do it yourself, or have someone hold the pig while you do it.

If the rescue is near you, you could probably have them do it once a month. Most vets can do it, but they charge like $10 a pop. Some vets don't charge but it depends on the vet.

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
As Patch the Pig said, if the nails are clear, as my girls' are, it's very easy to safely clip them, but if they're black, you'll have to be REALLY extra careful not to cut th quick. My pigs squirmed quite a bit at first because they didn't like me holding their feet, but eventually they got used to it.

magicroundabout

Cavy Slave
I cut my piggies nails myself too, but I have one with one black foot. Luckly I haven't had to cut it yet (but will soon) and I am a bit scared, does anyone have any tips???

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Hi Kpup, I know that application & I know that rescue. If you ask the rescuer there, she will probably give you a demonstration. She gave my Peanut a pedicure when we went to pick up Peanut's new friend. Peanut is a little tyrant & the only piggy here I can't do myself. Just be honest about what you know & don't know. She is more concerned with education than with judging you. Just email her & ask questions.

Kpup28

Cavy Slave
I already trim my dog's nails regularly and know not to clip the quick. But is there a special nail clipper for guinea pigs? (There is for dogs, but I think that is because their nails are a lot thicker) Thanks so much for all of the advice!

Edit: I just took a look at the link from Patch the Pig's reply. Wow! It is very informative and helpful! Thanks!

shmeele

Cavy Slave
For trimming dark nails, you could try holding a flashlight under the nail in order to see the quick better... I have 2 piggies with dark nails, and the flashlight method works pretty well.

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
I use regular cat nail trimmers for my piggies. I started trimming nails when they were still very little...not too say that they enjoy it but they tolerate it. I think having critter berries and critter carrot treats in their mouths helps too!

Patch the Pig

Cavy Slave
Glad the link was helpful! I use dog clippers. I've heard you can use human nail clippers but I've also heard that those tend to chip the nail more than animal clippers.

kavykrazy

Cavy Slave
I use the human nail clippers, and I haven't had a problem with chipping. But then, I usually clip nails after a bath so the nails are a bit softer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.