Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mia and Sierra's story

luvin_my_piggy

Cavy Slave
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone here. I became a member of this site after much research on guinea pigs. I would like to say thanks to all the people that have given so much information. It really helped me learn so much. I adopted Mia and Sierra from a woman who did not want them any longer. I found them in craigs list. Learning that they are mother and daughter and that they were in good health I adopted them the very next day. Oh god was I glad to get them away from her. She had been keeping them in a ten gallon fish aquarium. When I asked what their favorite veggies were she told me that she feeds them lettuce and carrots mostly. Knowing carrots were not good for them everyday I knew this lady had no idea about the true needs of guinea pigs. I had already ordered a cavy cage from Sue, and it was already set up at the my house. I quickly packed up the girls and took them straight home. They were scared at first but by the very next day both were coming right up to me and were running in their cage and popcorning. Even their poor little nails had never been trimed. Mia's were so long that they were curling under. Now they both are neatly trimmed up and loving their home and I can tell that I have two very happy piggies. Mia is the black and white abby, she is the mother. Sierra is the smooth coated brown one.

Last edited by a moderator:

GailtheGuineaPg

Cavy Slave
Aw, congratulations! That's so great that you've rescued these sweeties. They deserve a great life, and i'm sure you'll fulfill it. Have fun with the girls!

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Well done for doing all your research and giving 2 rescue piggies a great home. They are very sweet, especially Mia.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hey there and there adorable. But I thought that carrots could be fed everyday just not in an over amount? Please someone correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Welcome and congrats on your new piggy friends, they are adorable.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Your piggies must think they've gone to heaven. You're a piggy hero! It's amazing that they are mother & daughter and so very different.

luvin_my_piggy

Cavy Slave
Hey there and there adorable. But I thought that carrots could be fed everyday just not in an over amount? Please someone correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Well I am not 100% sure but what I read on a post on this site was that they should be fed in moderation because carrots could give too much calcium or cause urinary sludge. Although I have seen several members state that they give their pigs carrots daily, I just do not want to feed them too much of anything that could make them ill. I just really wish that I could get them to eat green peppers!

sihschris

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I can't imagine 2 piggies in a 10 gallon tank. That's awful! Great job on finding them and adopting from her.

Piggiepen

Cavy Slave
Carrots are high in sugar and can contribute to diabetes. I believe they should be limited to one baby carrot per pig per day. Your babies are adorable by the way!

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
That's right, just one baby carrot, but don't forget because you will get reminded. And don't ask your piggies if they've had their carrot yet because they will lie. The answer is always "No, You Forgot!".

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
My piggies tell me everyday that I forgot to feed them their breakfast and dinnerlol

luvin_my_piggy

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the carrot information. I had been giving them one baby carrot each every other day.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to make a correction to this post, so that the proper information is available. Carrots should be limited to 1 baby size per pig per day because they are high in Vitamin A ... Too much Vit A can lead to liver and kidney problems. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.