Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK What do you use in the litter tray ?

tillie

Cavy Slave
What do you use in the litter tray please?

Any type of bedding would work, you should stick to something absorbant though, like Carefresh, because they will hopefully be peeing in it (since that's the point of a litter pan.)You should also put the litter pan near where they usually eat/where their food's at. Pigs tend to pee where they eat and drink. It should reduce your poo a little bit, but they will still go wherever they want. However, if you read some of the other threads about this topic, it is possible to "litter train" them.

I have used several different things in litter trays. First I used carefresh (now available in the UK in 50l bags (thanks magicroundabout)):

(broken link removed) (scroll down).

This worked pretty well - though did need regular changing (I used 2 or 3 one-grid-width square basins as littertrays), and the carefresh did get walked over the cage. I used a brick infront of the entrance to the littertray to try and prevent this. Newspaper underneath absorbed more pee, and made cleaning out easier.

I have used shredded paper (which i get free by the sackload from work (I work in a xchool)), which is perhaps not as absorbant, but does the job, and is easy to clean out. It can get trailed around a wee bit too.

The litter trays were proving a bit tiresome and tricky for me to constantly clean out (they were in far corners, and ackward to reach areas!), so I made a 2 x 3 loft area of the cage into a bedded hay area, in which i use Megazorb. It is intended for horses - and is very absorbant. It is in smaller pieces than carefresh, and does have an odour - not unpleasant - but unusual. It is purchased by the sack, and is very economical, I can order it from a local equine supplier for £5.20 a sack, thus using over such a large area. The 2 x 3 is now in effect, one bit litter tray! The girls do spend a fair bit of time there (I have 2 hay stacks there), and do most of their dos in there. I have started putting the shredded paper on top - which i replace daily. This has proven the best solution for our situation.

If all else failed, at a push, you could tear small strips of newspaper, and use that in your litter trays.

Good grief - I didn't mean to go on quite so long!:eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.