Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carefresh for Long haired guinea pigs

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
I have read that if you get a longhaired guinea pig that shaving bedding will get stuck in their hair easily, so i was wondering is it harder for carefresh bedding to get stuck in a long haired guineapig's hair?

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
GuineasGalore said:
I have read that if you get a longhaired guinea pig that shaving bedding will get stuck in their hair easily, so i was wondering is it harder for carefresh bedding to get stuck in a long haired guineapig's hair?

I have several long haired pigs and when I use carefresh in their cage it is worse than shavings it get matted and knotted up in their hair. Shavings (Like aspen or kiln dried pine) work better because all you have to do is brush the or shake them off.

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
I use KD pine in my cages of pigs. The texels are probably the worse when it comes to bedding getting stuck, but you'll have that with any type of bedding and their long curly hair.

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
Then would it be more sensible to use fleece bedding?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Fleece is a good option

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
I've tried it and I don't personally like it.

Ruthies owner

Cavy Slave
GuineasGalore said:
I use pine and yes it gets stuck in her hair. :-( I basically just brush it out and every now and then it gets matted so I have to trim the matted hair out. I guess long haired guinea pigs are special :)

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
i never had a problem with the carefresh getting stuck in their hair. i have a peruvian. but i mix the carefresh with aspen so maybe thats why.

Ruthies owner

Cavy Slave
Starbucks said:
i never had a problem with the carefresh getting stuck in their hair. i have a peruvian. but i mix the carefresh with aspen so maybe thats why.
But isn't aspen the stuff you want to stay away from. Well I guess if you mix it with carefresh then its not bad. Maybe I'll try that next time with my pine.....

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Aspen is safe.

You want to avoid all cedar. PLus pine that has not been through a high temperature drying process (kiln dried).

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
My texel doesn't have much problem with bedding being stuck in her hair. I comb her out every few days and most often, the bedding just brushes out with my hand.

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
Ah. I don't brush my texels anymore, so that's probably why I have a problem. I brushed Little Pig for the first year or so I had her, and now her hair is just a fluffy mess - not much curl left. I'm trying to preserve what's left of it, and with Maggie I've never taken a brush to her.

Here are my texel girls, Maggie and Little Pig(LP):

Last edited:

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Erin8607 said:
Ah. I don't brush my texels anymore, so that's probably why I have a problem. I brushed Little Pig for the first year or so I had her, and now her hair is just a fluffy mess - not much curl left. I'm trying to preserve what's left of it, and with Maggie I've never taken a brush to her.

I try and brush my Texels about once a week, but they squeal because it hurts their curls. But I try to have them shaved (not all the way just 4in off) once or twice a year in the summer. They are the worst for getting bedding in their hair.

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
I pick through the curls with my fingers to loosen up bedding. I hate screaming pigs when it's grooming time. Some of my long haired(non-curly) pigs act like I'm ripping them apart before I even touch them. I think they know that when they sit on the bathroom counter, the brush is coming. LOL

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Erin8607 said:
I pick through the curls with my fingers to loosen up bedding. I hate screaming pigs when it's grooming time. Some of my long haired(non-curly) pigs act like I'm ripping them apart before I even touch them. I think they know that when they sit on the bathroom counter, the brush is coming. LOL

Yep that happens to me too. They will start squealing before I even bring the brush out,lol.... They are so silly =)

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Erin8607 said:

Here are my texel girls, Maggie and Little Pig(LP):
Awww they are such cuties!

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I use a wide tooth comb, the widest tooth comb I can find. It is just a step beyond finger combing. I originally had a cat brush and it just doesn't work. Luna basically has the natural look although I do part her hair when she has had a bath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.