Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!

sproett

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to cavies. I joined the forum after reading a lot of the threads and links. Overall, I think the forum is pretty informative and a great resource. My husband and I are looking into getting a pair or trio of cavies. My husband wants to foster but we live in Houston and there isn't a cavy-specific rescue here. We do have two local kill shelters that adopt out cavies and we are going to talk to them about fostering. We are building a C&C cage in three weeks and then we will be ready for our cavies. I'm just trying to find out everything I can about cavies-the good and the bad!
We have a dog, a cockatiel, two budgies, and four aquariums. We were looking for a way to help our community and decided fostering was right for our family. We have a toddler so I didn't want to bring strange dogs into the house. My husband is allergic to cats so that was out. That left small animals/birds. I am already a volunteer for a dog/cat rescue for any birds they intake (a rarity). I have always loved bunnies and cavies so we decided to meet some in person to help us decide. We arranged to meet with someone who fosters bunnies and my husband ended up having an allergic reaction to them. So a few days later we met up with a cavy to see if he was allergic and he wasn't. We were thrilled, especially since we just loved the little girl. Of course now I want a pair of my own in addition to fostering! My husband wants to start out fostering a pair and go from there. As I stated before, I'm worried I won't be able to find a rescue group that works with fosters and guinea pigs. So if anyone in Houston knows of a place, let me know!

AJismypiggy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! :)

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

sproett

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the welcome!

Wickedrodent-I'm going to check in with CAP. Sorry, I'm not looking for any pups. I hope you have good luck finding good homes for your four. We love our dog but one is enough!

Shannon

sproett

Cavy Slave
I heard from the CAP shelter today and someone is supposed to be contacting me with info on fostering with them. I'll keep you guys posted.

Jenah

Cavy Slave
Best of luck with the fostering :) Reading up at this forum is a great start to becoming a good cavy slave!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
sproett- Sam (Texascavys on this site) just had to bring his three girls to CAP.. if you could foster or adopt them I am sure he would be really grateful!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.