Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

wood instead of coroplast?

snowbunny

Cavy Slave
I am/ was building a C&C cage. The problem was finding the coroplast at a decent price locally. I found a couple sign stores that sell it but for 15-22$ for a 4x8 sheet. I thought that was a little much considering in the closest city I can get it for 7.82 for the same size sheet. The problem is, I would go get it in the city, but they close at 5 everyday and I'd have to get my husband to go with me, and also borrow his parents van to get it home. He gets off work at 4pm and we'd never get there in time. So basically that option is out since I don't know anyone else to help me get it that has a vehicle big enough to get it home in.

So my father in law is really hand in his woodshop. He made us our cabinets and helped alot on our house when we built it. So he said he can make a bottom for my cage. I have the wire cube/frame done already, just needed the coroplast for the bottom tray. He measured and did a little diagram and said he can make one out of wood. Its going to be about 7.5 inches high on the two longs sides. I little higher on the two ends with a cut space up higher on those two ends for me to be able to lift the tray out if I need to. He's going to make it out of wood thats maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch think. preferably 1/4. Also it WON"T be spray finished or anything, I told him not too, in case my guinea pig were to chew on the wood , the finish wouldn't hurt her. He'll sand it so its nice and smooth, no splinters.
he is even going to make a little hay trough to attach so I can put her hay in there. The only problem I can see and that I am worried about, is having a wooden bottom, won't her urine eventually , even with bedding in there to absorb it, soak into the wood cause either oder or the wood to start to rot or get nasty? What sort of thing could I use to line the bottom? Will just newspaper do or could I use some contact paper so that its easier to wipe up, then put news paper on top of that, then the bedding? Or could I use a piece of linoleum to line the bottom of the wood box, then the bedding? Or plexiglass? should I seal the corners with silicon? I am worried about urine or water soaking into the wood eventually. Also the other thing is will a wood box be dangerous at all in anyway? I think it will last longer definately, and it will be cheaper than the coroplast anyway, since he probably has all the wood in his shop already.
Let me know your ideas on this. I want to do it so that its safe, convenient and will last a good long time. It won't exactly be a C&C cage, but a C&W cage, (cube and wood instead of cube and coroplast!!) Would this work right?

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Coroplast is flexible enough that you can roll it after a fashion. I carried a 4x8 sheet in the backseat of a small sized pick up, not the bed of the truck.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Wood is bad for several reasons. You're right, the urine will get stuck in the wood. It will get moldy. It's harder to move than coroplast. It's much harder to clean. Something will get into it eventually, keep trying with the coroplast! Can you borrow the van before your hubby gets home? That would work, right?

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
You can't sanitize the wood properly either, and it'll start to smell from the urine after a while...two important points you might want to think about.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
wood over all is not a good cage... Bugs will start to come eventually. I would just pay the $22 and make my pigg a c&c cage. Perhaps if you can't find coroplast use linolium at least that won't get moldy, buggy, or absorb urine etc.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i believe the cage is already made, isnt it, snowbunny?

im psychic

(no, actually, i saw this exact same post on another forum. the finished cage is 36" by 36")

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
i believe the cage is already made, isnt it, snowbunny?

im psychic

(no, actually, i saw this exact same post on another forum. the finished cage is 36" by 36")

Isn't 36x36 small? Wait never mind that was a really stupid question. I think that is 2x3 grids. Not sure though....
Anyways is it made out of wood? Lino? Coroplast?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
that cage size gives 9 square feet - i thought that was generous for two guinea pigs.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
that cage size gives 9 square feet - i thought that was generous for two guinea pigs.

Just sounded small thats all lol.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
mm hmm, sounds small. but in inches, even a 2x3 sounds really small. 28" by 42". lol/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.