Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cubes on sale at Target

cusunfireguy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I went down to Target yesterday and they have the cubes for C & C cages on sale. They sell these under the Organize-It name. You get 6 cubes (23 panels & 24 connectors) for just $12.99. They come in white, black, blue, and chrome. I built a new habitat yesterday for my piggies and they are loving it! I should have a new picture soon!

Steven
Denver, CO

cusunfireguy

Cavy Slave
I was down there again today and read the sign real close and it said that these cubes would be on sale until 3/26/07.

Steven

Jolene

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the heads up. I might make a special trip to Idaho just to grab some cubes! :p

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
I got mine for that much, too! I bought the black ones.

Congrats on getting a jump start on your CC Cage:)

caribear

Cavy Slave
I am new to this so this may be a stupid question but w/ the 6 cubes, what size cage does that make? You still need the coroplast or whatever on the bottom/sides, right?

Project_C

Cavy Slave
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I think I will save up some money to get cubes, so that when I am allowed to get my piggy I will already have made a C&C and worked out all the kinks, while investing time in quality. :D

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
I am new to this so this may be a stupid question but w/ the 6 cubes, what size cage does that make? You still need the coroplast or whatever on the bottom/sides, right?

Six cubes are not enough. This site recommends a 2x3 at least, for one cavy. That means you'd need at least 10 cubes.

You should use the coroplast to make the bottom and sides.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
But 6 cubes have about 26 grids, and he only needs 10 for a 2x3, right? Cubes are the whole square, not a single grid, so for a 2x3 he only needs a single box of 6 cubes.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
But 6 cubes have about 26 grids, and he only needs 10 for a 2x3, right? Cubes are the whole square, not a single grid, so for a 2x3 he only needs a single box of 6 cubes.

Ahhhh You're right! I was reading it thinking six GRIDS and not six cubes.

My bad. It was late when I read that and I was thinking they meant six grids.

Hahaha I knew that didn't make sense. I was thinking 'why would someone think they could use six panels?!!'

Silly me! Six cubes would be fine. :crazy:

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
With six cubes you even have extra grids to make a loft, or expand, or even do storage underneath the cage to put hay, pellets, and other supplies.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave

Well 10 would be just for the sides. The bottom uses grids/panels, too.

Like my cage has storage underneath (a 2x4) but without the loft and storage, if my cage were to be on the floor, it would use 20 grids/panels.

But obviously I used more because of my second level and storage.

Man, I REALLY had a brain fart last night/this morning. I should not give out information that late! HA.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Well 10 would be just for the sides. The bottom uses grids/panels, too.

I just wanted to add that you don't necessarily need to have grids on the bottom if you don't want to. The first cage I built, which was on the ground, didn't have any grids on the bottom, just the sides made out of grids. The connectors at the bottom can support it.

I also have a 2x4 with storage and a loft, so now I do have grids on the bottom, but if you don't want storage underneath, you don't have to use grids on the bottom unless you want to, because the coroplast will be the bottom, it will just rest on the floor. :)

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add that you don't necessarily need to have grids on the bottom if you don't want to. ... because the coroplast will be the bottom, it will just rest on the floor. :)

Or on a shelf like my first one did. My current one doesn't have grids on the bottom either, except in the kitchen because when I expanded it, it is now too long for the "table" I have it on.

And thanks for the tip. Although I don't need any more grids right now, I may go get some anyway, you know, just in case.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add that you don't necessarily need to have grids on the bottom if you don't want to. The first cage I built, which was on the ground, didn't have any grids on the bottom, just the sides made out of grids. The connectors at the bottom can support it.

I also have a 2x4 with storage and a loft, so now I do have grids on the bottom, but if you don't want storage underneath, you don't have to use grids on the bottom unless you want to, because the coroplast will be the bottom, it will just rest on the floor. :)

That's true, but I really can't imagine doing it the way without having bottom grids. I think it's a much better idea to have them on the bottom, especially if you don't have a shelf or table underneath it.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
That's true, but I really can't imagine doing it the way without having bottom grids. I think it's a much better idea to have them on the bottom, especially if you don't have a shelf or table underneath it.

Oh I know. I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just telling them that if for some reason they didn't want grids on the bottom, or they built a loft and didn't have enough grids to go on the bottom too, it would be fine without them.

I definitely think that if you have in on a table or something, you need the grids on the bottom. The same goes, obviously, for if you build storage with extra cubes underneath. If the cage sits directly on the floor, however, it would work with no grids underneath, but it would work with grids underneath as well.

I'll always use cubes on the bottom, I prefer it that way too. But some people like it without, so I was just giving them a different option. Sorry if I sounded rude.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Oh I know. I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just telling them that if for some reason they didn't want grids on the bottom, or they built a loft and didn't have enough grids to go on the bottom too, it would be fine without them.

I definitely think that if you have in on a table or something, you need the grids on the bottom. The same goes, obviously, for if you build storage with extra cubes underneath. If the cage sits directly on the floor, however, it would work with no grids underneath, but it would work with grids underneath as well.

I'll always use cubes on the bottom, I prefer it that way too. But some people like it without, so I was just giving them a different option. Sorry if I sounded rude.

No, no. I didn't think that at all. I was just playing the part of the counterpoint and explaining that I wouldn't give anyone advice on using the coro alone on the bottom, so I'd tell them to remember the bottom grids.
:p

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Haha okay. :crazy:

And cusunfireguy, I can't wait to see the pictures of your cage! I'm sure the pigs love it!

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
And cusunfireguy, I can't wait to see the pictures of your cage! I'm sure the pigs love it!

He's already got a couple! I saw them in the photo gallery. Check 'em out. Looks pretty good! :-D

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
He's already got a couple! I saw them in the photo gallery. Check 'em out. Looks pretty good! :-D

Oh you're right. Looks great! The pigs look so happy. The cage is really neat and organized, too! What are you using for bedding in the bottom? Is it brown fleece? The only thing I would do is take out that "hut" thing in the loft. If it's what I think it is (an edible hut?), it's not good for them to eat. Those things are made with lots of sugar, honey, and other bad ingredients that can be harmful to pigs. There's too much sugar. The best treat is just extra veggies.

(broken link removed)

cusunfireguy

Cavy Slave
Each box at Target contains 23 grids and 24 connectors. I needed 2 boxes to make my cage and a little over 100 zip ties.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.