Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

general questions for first timer

*stella*star*
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
*stella*star*

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
1. Lego ramp may not comfortable to step on
2. Yes you can by cutting a hole as door
3. What do you mean by difference? If you are mentioning about sex, you can read on this. https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
4. Yes there is possible the girls are pregnant when you bought them back. They may get pregnant when they are 4 weeks old.
5. For toys, you can read on this. https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm
6. Yes wire floor will hurt & cause bumberfoot.

*stella*star*

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
putting nespaper on top wouldnt work unless there was a really thick, thick, thick, THICK layer of it, and then, the entire purpose of wire bottom cage would be defeated

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
can i use ice-cream containers for hidey houses?
I would probably choose something different since ice cream containers have a coating on it. Plain cardboard would be a better choice.

how do you tell the difference between guinea pigs when they are little?
Little boys have a penis, little girls don't. Don't take a petstore employees word that you have a girl (or a boy), have a vet check. Even breeders make mistakes...as I know first hand! Check https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

if you get 2 girls from a pet shop where they keep the girls and boys together would the girls be pregnant?
There is a high likelyhood, yes.

what are some toys, ramps and hidey houses that i can make at home but will be safe for the guinea pigs?
https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm for toys; and for ramps, houses etc... https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=501&password=

also is it true that wire floor will hurt the guinea pigs feet? and if it does will newspaper and hay on top of it help them from getting sore feet?
Wire floors are not recommended for piggies. Newspaper and hay are not the most absorbant materials out there and pigs like to eat both of them. If you have a wire floor and had to use it, I would probably put newspaper on top of the wire and then a layer of your bedding. Personally, I would take the wire out rather than risk an injury.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Try out your local shelters first. They usually sex their guinea pigs correctly and shelters take much better care of the pigs. Please, don't let the pet store be your first choice.

AmeliaBedelia

Cavy Slave
In pet stores, I've seen some green plastic grids that you can connect to make different sizes and lay down over wire bottom cages for the purpose of protecting the little piggies' feet. Not sure how much they are but that might be an option.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
plastic grids? isnt this the same as wire?

AmeliaBedelia

Cavy Slave
The plastic grids are actually solid, interlocking pieces of plastic that basically create a whole new bottom for the cage....so maybe the word grid is a little misleading. I would still encourage the coroplast or linoleum if at all possible....chances are they are probably cheaper than the plastic pieces!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
AmeliaBedelia said:
The plastic grids are actually solid, interlocking pieces of plastic that basically create a whole new bottom for the cage....so maybe the word grid is a little misleading. I would still encourage the coroplast or linoleum if at all possible....chances are they are probably cheaper than the plastic pieces!
oh, ok. now i understand

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
when i let them have floor time outside can i have ramps that are made out of lego?
I would not recomment this. They will be sore on the feet, and they are potential choking hazards.

can i use ice-cream containers for hidey houses?
I have, but I'm not sure about the coating. Thanks for the heads-up!

how do you tell the difference between guinea pigs when they are little?
www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm. Why do you need to know, may I ask?

if you get 2 girls from a pet shop where they keep the girls and boys together would the girls be pregnant?
Yes, they will more likely than not be preggers. Please opt to adopt.

what are some toys, ramps and hidey houses that i can make at home but will be safe for the guinea pigs?
See www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm. Also, look in the photo galleries.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.