Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Hit a Brick wall on Cubes! Please advise.

CavyBaby

Cavy Slave
Housing.
Has anyone seen any cubes anywhere since christmas? I live near Brisbane and I've checked 3 Bunnings', 2 Bigw's, 1 Kmart, and 2 Targets, 3 Crazy clarks and 1 Reject shop, but can't find any cubes. I've also searched eBay, but no good. On the up side I already have the corflute.​

I want to set up three 2by4 cages, one for my own little piggies (two sows), a better one for my step-daughter (hers is a pet store job), and one to use a bit later for fostering guineas for the RSPCA. So thats 60 panels for the cages and 84 panels including lids. I think maybe I'll make the lids out of something else.​

I've decided to use newspaper towel and fleece to line the cages. I'm already in a routine of cleaning my cats litter and birds paper every day, so this will only add a few minutes more. I thought I'd try some litter areas filled with recycled paper pellet, or maybe lucerne pellet litter. Or would the Guinea eat the lucerne pellets? The girl I got for my step-daughter didn't seam to touch them (we had left over cause the cat didn't like it) other than to poop on them, but then there is plenty of nice lucern hay in her feed. Has anyone else tried it?​

This all started with my step-daughters guinea pig Angelina. She needed a playmate so we went to the RSPCA to find one. Due to some work being done at her mothers house, I kept the guinea at my place for a while. Boy was I in for a surprise!
The few little piggies I have ever had contact with were noisy, smelly and prone to nipping. But this beautiful girl was big and fat, mostly quiet and loved having her chin rubbed! Most importantly of all, she didn't smell or bite! After a couple of days i started letting her out on the floor for a while, and I think i enjoyed her exploration as much as she did. So now I am hooked! I'm home full time, and my pets are my kids, so I cant wait to add two cavy babys to our family!
I've done alot of research, and want to be sure I'll give them the best possible home. But I have a major housing issue to overcome before I can bring my own little piggies home. Please feel free to advise on any pointers you have, and especially any help on finding the cubes!​

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
You would have more luck if you posted on the ACS forum, lots of members are in Brisbane and can give you more localised help

(broken link removed)

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Sorry, my computer is so screwy this morning.
(broken link removed)

Last edited:

CavyBaby

Cavy Slave
Thank you Aertyn:) ! I need all the help I can get!

akintolife

Cavy Slave
I've always got my cubes from Bunnings, although a lot of them have been selling out recently. However, I second the ACS recommendation!

cavymumof4

Cavy Slave
I live on the Gold Coast and I have been able to get the grids at Bunnings in Burleigh. Not to sure where you live though.

Bianca

shermn

Cavy Slave
I found a packet of 12 faces in a little asian $2 shop. It was $15, and that may sound cheap, but it was definately not worth it..
Mum called Bunnings and they guy had to get out a ladder and look at the top of the shelves to find the cubes. There 'many left, but they were there. So if you go into a Bunnings store, try to look at the top of the shelves too, just incase the cubes are hiding...

pigloverr

Cavy Gazer
I ran out of cubes whilst constructing my c&c cages so I improvised and used this wire mesh with square holes about 1.5cm across. It worked well though it isn't as solid as the grids. So as long as you don't need to keep anything out of the cages like cats, dogs or children, it should be ok. You should be able to find a similar substitute at your local hardware store.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.