Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

About nails....

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
OK, I got these new girls on sunday that I adopted from the cavy classifieds, and as I was checking them out, I noticed their nails were WAY overgrown. So I trimmed them down as far as I could, but they are still long. What should I do?? They were overgrown enough to make one of them walk on the sides of the nails (I hope you guys can understand what I mean) and although they are trimmed way down, they are still long enough to make her toes awkward as she walks. I don't know how to explain it. But I guess my actual question is will the quik shrink or still grow? Will she have to have this the rest of her life?? Is there any way I can make her more comfortable?

By the way, the other one should be fine, her nails were not quite as long.
Thanks in advance!

~~Cheri~~

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
Im not totally sure but im pretty sure if once a week you cut just a little bit of the quick it will recede but you have to move it back or it will not recede and just keep getting worse. But im not certain so I would wait for a more qualified answer.

Denise

Cavy Slave
I believe you are right about clipping a little bit every week to get the quick to recede. I know that's how to do it with dogs and it makes sense it would work for other animals as well.

roosterboy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
a brick in the cage will help with some daily filing. try keeping the brick under a water bottle/by the food so that they are prone to go near it often.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
I have heard about the brick before, and I never followed up with buying the stone, and thanks everyone for your replys! I'll do that. I was so worried about what to do!

~~Cheri~~

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
yea, and bricks are super cheap! in my cage, there is a little cube unit that branches off from the main cage, standard 14 by 14 cube make up the three walls. i will use this area as the food court, and i'm putting a big brick piece in it that is i square foot. it fits nicely, with some alley space on two sides.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Great idea! I was (am) going to get a tile stone that's porous (like what some people use on driveways; you can get them in the garden section of many stores) and put one under their water bottles, but I'm thinking I like your idea better! lol

~~Cheri~~

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.