Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Making Pillows

hlover100

Cavy Slave
What do you use for pillows? I though of layering two socks and filling the inside one with uncoocked rice. If you have better ideas, or pictures I would like to hear about/see them.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
I use sort of like fluff stuffing made of 100% polyester fibers. I'm not sure how much the bag has but it only cost 2.99 and I've made a TON of things for the animals and myself. I already washed the round carebear pillow for the piggies in the washing machine with a full cycle and it came out fine. I set it out in the sun to dry and it was really warm and toasty in just a few hours. The two rectangle ones are made of fleece baby blankets folded in half, stuffed, and sewed shut.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I made a pillow using fleece stitchen around a folded towel. It is good and absorbant - but kind of hard and lumpy! I also have several pillows made from fleece - but using a poyester cushion inner. You can buy polyester wadding or batting, which makes good insides for a cushion or pillow - I haven't tried rice.

Have you had a look in the gallery under cozies? I have some - which the piggies love - and a pigwam too (a bit like a tent fabric tent - they love hiding and sleeping in there).

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/518

I haven't tried a rice filled sock! Here is another link to relevant threads:

(broken link removed)

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
I made my pigs pillows recently, too...and to my surprise, they all use them! It's the cutest thing how they curl up & lay their heads on them to go to sleep.

I used fleece and stuffed them with Carefresh. When the fleece needs to be washed, I cut a small hole, dump out the Carefresh, wash the fleece, then put new Carefresh in & sew the hole back together. It's worked great so far, but I think it might be a bit lumpy, too. I might try the polyester that was mentioned here...

Thanks!

Smashmymitten

Cavy Slave
Id totally recommend going to fabric stores, goto the back and pick up cheap scraps to make your own pillows,tents or what ever you want :).

The fabric store near me stocks from fleece to wool,cotton and even types of stuffing so its a good idea to check it out.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You can also take the socks that lose their mates in the wash, stuff them with hay, and sew up the ankle end. If your pig tears a hole in it, it's perfectly safe for them to eat the stuffing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.