Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

PetLove Nestledown Bedding Questions.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Okay, A friend of mine is interested in getting a guinea pig in the future and she asked me a question about Petlove Nestledown Bedding, Wether this could be used for guinea pigs or not, I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on it. Anyone have experience with this? She used it before for her hamsters but the product states it's for small animals see here product info:

(broken link removed)

I suggested fleece and carefresh but She wants to use this more as nest/hide material for the pig to sleep and hide in (like hay).

Safe or Not safe?

I looked at the link but it doesn't describe the bedding very well. Is it shredded, like eco- bedding?

I'm not sure i think it's a bit like cotton, so that friend said.

I would stay away from this bedding. Hamsters nest, guinea pigs don't. Also it could clog the intestinal system if eaten. Better to stick with save proven products than try something that could be harmful.

It doesn't really say what it's made of but all of those beddings made of cotton fibers should be completely avoided for both pigs as well as hamsters. They've gotten tangled in them and lost limbs. Some have also died from ingestion.

I've seen this kind of stuff sold in petshops - it is kind of cotton woolly, but did a quick search, and found it's made from 'cellulosic biodegradable fibres' - whatever they are.

I looked after a friend's chinchilla a couple of years ago, and it had some bedding like this, and it held onto the pee, which was most unpleasant. There are many more tried and tested suitable beddings to suggest to your friend!

thank you for your feedback, what bedding beside carefresh and fleece would you recommend? especially for those living in the UK.

Aspen is good and relatively inexpensive. I use it with my rats and rabbits. I give my rats shredded paper to nest in, but I don't think piggies would enjoy it as much. A big pile of hay seems to be their favorite thing to play in.

Using fleece now - I don't think I'd recommend anything else! I did use Aspen type stuff - but never again - the mess was walked all over the house (and one of my piggers has had eye trouble, and can't be bedded on anything like that).

I know a few folk are using megazorb https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/uk/19653-megazorb.html (first few posts relevant), but have no experience myself. It's something a bit like carefresh, but smaller pieces and aparently 'better'!

Is your friend looking for something for the whole cage - or just for a quiet corner? If not for the whole cage, then a cuddle cup is great for resting in! Although she'll need a few to use between washes! I have three litter trays - which my pigs like to sleep in - they are lined with a newspaper, then loads of shredded paper (I get it free by the sackload from the school where I work). It is absorbant, so needs changing regularly.

I agree that hay is a popular bedding (with the pigs!) You could try posting a seperate thread in the UK section - I presume your friend will be looking to buy from here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.