Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A Newbie from Australia

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I love your forums, and I have learned so much from you all. I have been lurking for ages, and just decided to join.

We are recently new to owing Piggies and they are the most wonderful pets. We have two at the moment, brothers called Cuddles (multicolor) and Jellybean (Black).

A Newbie from Australia A Newbie from Australia

I am looking at purchasing a C & C Cage and am disappointed that it is so difficult to get them here in Australia, so it looks like maybe I will be paying to ship from the US. They are so much better than the pet store hutches. I am also going to make my own fleecy bedding, and some little pouches for snuggling time.

Thanks for all the advice and tips, and I look forward to chatting with you all. The site is awesome!!!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum.

If your after grids, you can try Big W, Kmart, Bunnings and The Reject Shop, Kmart's are pretty pricey, but the ones from Bunnings are 8.50 for 5 grids, they are not powder coated though.

You can also try ebay, I saw some grids on their last week, it's rare to see them, but you might just get lucky.

And your pigs are very cute as well.

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Welcome fellow Aussie. What part of Australia are you in?

Grids are impossible to find, I gave up on them long ago. Corflute is much easier to get at least, both Queensland and NSW have a chain of stores called Sign-a-rama, which stock relatively inexpensive corflute.

Once again welcome

Emma

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
Thanks to both of you for the welcome.

Emma - I know what you mean about the grids, because I have looked for them for ages, with no luck yet. That is why I am seriously considering buying from the US, or finding other alternatives, because the cage I have now isn't as big as I would like. They get lots of time out of the cage for cuddles and floor time, but I would still like a larger area for them.

I am on the beautiful Central Coast of NSW. About 5 mins from the beach, so it is wonderful.

Victoria

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
A good alternative to grids is closet shelving

(broken link removed)

These can be bought from Bunnigs, just ask at the service desk for wire shelving (it should be around all the pre-made kitchen kits OR in the storage section)

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
OMG OMG, That is AWESOME , I live in the Hunter Valley, I'm quite close to the Central Coast, finally someone near me. I live in an area called Quorrobolong, nicknamed by it's residents middle of nowhere. It's on some of the Watagan mountains. I live about 20 minutes out from Kurri Kurri and Cessnock and about 45 minutes from Newcastle.

I use a completely different material then grids. It's available at Bunnings in large sheets, it's basically a metal type gridding which is very solid and strong, I have quite a few cages made out of it, then you can just add in a corflute liner. I can PM you a picture of it if you want?

Emma

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
Thanks Emma. A picture would be brilliant!!!

I have been looking at alternatives, and the old brain cells are working overtime (which can be a little stressful....lol....).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.