Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey

wildguinea

Cavy Slave
Hi. My name is Bill, I'm 26, married, and have a seven year old stepdaughter. We just got our first guinea yesterday and she is awesome. At least I think she's a she. She is only four weeks old and kinda shy so I haven't been able to confirm that yet. It was total luck that I got her. A friend that I work with just stopped me in the hall and said "hey you want a free guinea pig." Knowing that my wife had been taking interest in them lately at the pet store ( I have three dogs). I said sure. The lady that I got her from thought she had two boys and turns out one of them was a girl and pregnant. Like I said before she is only four weeks old and very shy at the moment. She is a rust, orange color and being that we think she is a girl, we call her Sandy. If she turns out to be a he we'll change the name to Rusty. Being this is our first guinea I don't know much about them. But I'm sure you all will help me with that. Well I've rambled on long enough. See you on the boards.

Welcome to the forums! Here's a really great post with an overwhelmingly large amount of good information: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html

Check out Index of / and look at the sexing page to determine whether you have a boy or girl. I would strongly reccommend getting her (or him) and older same-sex buddy to show her the works--it would possibly help her with the shyness. Check out Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. for some more pigs that need homes near you!

P.S. What kind of cage do you have?

I'ts a pet store cage. I'm pretty sure it's not big enough but it's way bigger than what she came with. I just went out last night and picked up some stuff to try and make her more comfortable. It's a little smaller then a 2x3 cage. I think its 20in by 32in.

Now that you have her home and loved and are doing some research, please make sure you look through the photo galleries at some of the wonderful cages other forum members have built. The parts are quite inexpensive, and you can create a much roomier and creative cage for far less than a pet store type cage.

Of course we want to see pigtures of your baby as soon as you can possibly post some. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to helping you learn everything you need to know about your new family member. The links that nonamian_girl provided are an excellent jumping off point for all of that information.

Here is our newest family member. The picture is a little fuzzy. She's a little camera shy. I did some reading and based off of the look of her hair I think she is an Abyssinian breed. I'm not 100% sure though. She has ruffled looking hair. She finally came out of her little hideout spot and she was making some squeeking noises. It was pretty awesome. I couldn't believe she would actually eat that orange. But she's been nibbling on it off and on all day. I guess she likes it.

Aww, she's a cutie!

She/he is the cutest little piggie!!!! You will have to let us know when you can finally have a look at her underside to confirm a she or a he.....lol

Aw she is so small and cute! I remember when my little boy was that small, now he is huge. I hope you get some good ideas on building a C&C cage for the little one and maybe even get a companion for her once you make sure she is the right sex.

Aw she is so cute!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Well I went out and bought some wire grids and built her a decent size play pen. I still keep her in her 2x3 cage through out the day but I let her run around in this a couple of hours each night. If I had a big enough area I would just make it her home for good. Check it out and let me know what you think.

It looks like she is having so much fun!

Just some info- a 2x3 C&C is not 2ftx3ft. A 2x3 C&C without connectors is 28"x42".

She's an Aby.

Wow, your new baby, Sandy sure has a nice play area. There looks like room for you to get in there & play with her too!

That looks great!! My girls love floor time and after looking at the photos I just might go out and buy more grids. Right now I use my coffee and end tables to close in the area of my living room by the sectional couch.

Your idea looks much, much nicer lol

That looks great!! My girls love floor time and after looking at the photos I just might go out and buy more grids. Right now I use my coffee and end tables to close in the area of my living room by the sectional couch.

Your idea looks much, much nicer lol
That play area isn't even a full box of grids. One box at Target costs 14.99. I bought two because I wasn't sure how big to make it. I'm glad I bought two boxes though because there aren't enough connectors in one box for that big of a pen.

Unless you want the play area to be a semi-permanent fixture, I highly recommend using cable ties instead of the connectors. That way you can fold up the play area and slide it behind or under your couch when not in use.

Unless you want the play area to be a semi-permanent fixture, I highly recommend using cable ties instead of the connectors. That way you can fold up the play area and slide it behind or under your couch when not in use.
I've already got that covered. I just hadn't put the zip ties on there yet when I took the picture. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.