Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Substitute for bedding

Cavyz617927

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if you could use shreded paper for bedding, because carefresh stuff is expensive! I was thinking of putting old paper through a shredder, then using it as bedding. Is this a good idea, or will it cause health problems or something?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yes, you sure can! I just don't think I have enough paper for mine. As long as you have enough paper to be shredded, I think some of the other people on this forum also use the shredded stuff. It's paper, so I don't think it would hurt them, after all, CareFresh is paper. The only worry I would have is papercuts, but I don't know if that would really be a problem or not. Good luck on the bedding issue! =)

Oh, and I use a thick layer of the cheaper aspen in my cage, topped off with a small covering of CareFresh, if you'd like to try something else. It's working quite well for me!

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
Paper is fine, it won't hurt them... BUT it will get soiled much more quickly! It doesn't have much absorbency at all, so you will end up changing it every day or two. I've tried it before - it just gets very messy and is a pain to clean up!

Aspen is a cheaper solution than CareFresh and works very well. Cedar and pine are even cheaper but are BAD for piggies, don't use them.

I agree with mncavylover though... go for a layer of aspen and a thin layer of Carefresh. If you still feel that's too expensive, just go with the aspen.

Denise

Cavy Slave
I finally switched to aspen and carefresh and love the new combination. It's so much cheaper!

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
I use kiln-dried pine. Safe, absorbent and cheap as hell.

Pine is bad for pigs, but only the pine that smells like pine cleaner. Kiln-drying evaporates most of the oils and leaves the shavings with a faint woody scent.

Cavyz617927

Cavy Slave
thanks

thanks for the advice. I will try using paper shreds

WildKingdom

Cavy Slave
I tried using shredded paper but it seemed like they had a really hard time walking through it. Their feet would get tangled up. I use Kiln dried pine chips. Super cheap and it seems to work just as well as carefresh in my opinion.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
I tried shredded newspaper but swifted back to woodshavings because it won't last long. It will get dirty, wet very fast. Anyway, I can try it & compare the difference yourself.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I tried....

• Carefresh - great performance but too expensive
  • Newspaper - unacceptably dirty almost right away
  • Aspen - worked well but still a little pricey and had to get it mail order
  • Kiln Dried Pine shavings - performs like the Aspen. Also available in bulk from feed stores - CHEAP!!! A bit messy though - kicked out of the cage too much.
Thinking of trying a homemade, fleece-towel liner but not sure I want to do that much laundry. It would stop the mess on my floors though.

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
Shreaded paper doesn't have much absorbency, but what if you used absorbent paper towel? would it be bad for them, and would you have to shred it or could you just lay it out like a carpet or something?

Cavyz617927

Cavy Slave
rip up the paper towels a bit

I would rip the paper towels on the top and crumple them, they will like it more

put several layers of flat paper towels, then rip up and crumple more paper towels, then put that on top
see diagram below

[-=flat paper towel, *=crumpled paper towel]

---------------------------

Cavyz617927

Cavy Slave
Not sure about newspaper

kennethlhm said:
I tried shredded newspaper but swifted back to woodshavings because it won't last long. It will get dirty, wet very fast. Anyway, I can try it & compare the difference yourself.
I heard newspaper ink can cause cancer!!! I don't know if that is true, but I always put something over newspaper if I use it

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Some inks can be toxic, yes, but black ink is usually made from soy. Check with your newspaper company and ask if you aren't sure or for more information about the colored inks and such.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
another cheap option for you to consider is fleece - it absorbs better, and it is much softer. it probably won't even have to be changed every day

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.