Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Feeding the pigs

Piglet

Cavy Slave
How should I feed my guinea pigs? Should I give them their pellets iin the mornings and their veggies in the afternoon? Or should I give them pellets and vegetables in the morning, and them some more vegetables in the afternoon?

Thanks

Yes, and Yes

Piglet said:
How should I feed my guinea pigs? Should I give them their pellets iin the mornings and their veggies in the afternoon? Or should I give them pellets and vegetables in the morning, and them some more vegetables in the afternoon?

Thanks
Hello, we do the same thing, pellets and vita c first, then hay and then veggies, they sleep longer when their bellies are full..

Kk

pellets

Piglet said:

Thanks
You should have pellets (I use Cavy Cuisine) in their feeder all the time and plenty of hay. I give my pigs veggies day and night, and they are very healthy. Look at my site and see how much mine eat at suppertime.

Mine have a constant supply of hay, readigrass (made by Spillers - it's just dried grass, try it if you haven't already as the pigs love it!) and pellets although they don't eat many pellets at all, they prefer hay and readigrass. And I give them three servings of veggies a day - spreading them out means I get hassled less than I would if I just gave them in one sitting! Plus I think it's better for them - they're grazers by nature so having one huge influx of fresh food every day isn't as suited to their natural ways as smaller quantities spread throughout the day.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think that I will give some of their veggies in the morning, but more in the afternoon. I'd heard about readigrass, and the place where I got my hay from sells it. I'm going there next week, so I might pick up a bag. How much of that do you give a day?

They probably eat a couple of handfuls a day (three pigs). The huge sacks of it are only about £7-8 and it lasts months. I've never met a pig who didn't love it - if I give them a pile of hay and a bowl of readigrass at the same time, they get so excited, they don't know where to go first!

That is so cute! Does the readigrass have any nutritional value?

My three have access to pellets and hay at all times. I replenish the hay as needed during the day. I give a huge bowl of veggies in the morning and then a bowl of just romaine lettuce later in the afternoon. I have found if I let them, they will clean the veggies out so I leave the bowl alone until they are almost done. I also give them fresh grass from the yard and I noticed on those days, they don't eat as many veggies.

Mine have huge piles of hay available always. I give them each a small bowl of pellets in the am and in the pm. There are usually a few pellets left when I go to refill so I'm guessing it's the right amount.

I give their big veggie feeding at night because I often hold them in my lap to feed them. I then leave a pile of veggies and sometimes fruit in the cage for them.

I usually don't give them veggies in the morning unless their squeeking for it. Then it would be lettuce/parsely, etc. At night they get the larger variety such as green peppers, apple, carrot, etc.

I feed them fruits & pellets in the morning, vege & pellets in the evening. Hay & pellets are available all time.

kenneth, do you give them fruits everyday?

I always have hay and pellets available at all times. I give them fresh greens 3 times a day and some fruit once a day. They seem to be doing just fine on that diet.

Piglet said:
Does the readigrass have any nutritional value?

It's basically just grass with the water taken out, and grass is definitely good for them and an important part of their natural diet, even if it's not packed with nutrients. Really they're designed to eat large quantites of high fibre/ low calorie foods as then they constantly graze keeping their teeth and digestive tracts in great nick. As the water is taken out in Readigrass, it's a bit richer than fresh grass (slightly higher in protein I believe) but given with hay, veggies and pellets, they don't tend to overeat it even if given an unlimited amount.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.