Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Does anyone know of some good homemade cavy toys?

genuinejeans101

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for some good homemade toys to occupy my cavy, Alex. He is easily distracted so I'm looking for a toy that will keep his attention. I'm all to all ideas!

genuinejeans101

Cavy Slave
I have him an igloo a cozy cup and a toilet paper role stuff with hay. What more toys can I make him?

tigerbaby

Cavy Slave
you can try some newspaper.:)My pigs dont realy use any of thier toys though.Does anybody know any bordom busters?They just sit there doing nothing but eating and sleeping.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
My pig adores a paper bag in there hay room and they love bunk beds.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
MIne just love the wooden hanging bird toys wth the bell on the end, or durable cat balls with the bell inside. I think out of all my pig's toys, they enjoy the ones with the bells the most. I even have a few pigs that ring the bell when they know I am in the kitchen preparing their salads :)

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Igloos are great, but you might want to build him a "tunnel"-- it's easy to build, you just nail some wood together. :) There are pictures of Carrot's tunnel in my gallery if you'd like to see.

GadgetGirl

Cavy Slave
You might want to get him a friend to help occupy him. They can play together with the toys you supply and I know he would have a lot of fun having another pig to play with. Also, try an egg carton. My pigs love to push it around and chew on it.

GadgetGirl the Piggie Lover:love:

peppererwin

Cavy Slave
My piggy loves the cat toys that I got him. They are like little balls with a bell inside them, only 0.99 where I got them.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Mine love some of those bird toys, particlarly the one with the mirror and bell they keep popcorning into it, it's so cute. Just make sure it has no small bits that can easily break or be chewed off.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Igloos are great, but you might want to build him a "tunnel"-- it's easy to build, you just nail some wood together. :) There are pictures of Carrot's tunnel in my gallery if you'd like to see.

No, this is definately not the solution. Your pigs can chew it and bite to the nail, or it might pop open and the nail will be exposed.

There are other solutions for making tunnels such as using a plastic bin, and cutting and sanding the ends off. You can use PVC piping, and plastic tubes. If you WERE to use or make a wood tunnel, make sure it's not put together with nails or glue. Some pieces of wood come with notches at the ends, and you can slide and hammer the pieces of wood together without any binders. It's really easy as 123.

Some other home-made toys you can make for your cavy are:
Hammocks - Just a pillow case tied to the corners of the cage, or if you're more complex, make one with straps.
Random Pillows - I just took some sheets of fleece, folded them in half, stuffed with fleece scraps, and tied the ends off. I also made a giant pillow. I used a pillowcase and stuffed it with hay.
Anything made with paper - you can use toilet paper rolls, paper balls or just a sheet of newspaper.
Bunk Beds - Just take a grid from your cubes set, and bend it in half. Then cable tie it to the side of the cage atleast 2 inches off the ground. Then put a sheet of cardboard or coroplast on top of it, and wrap it with fleece.

There are so many things you can make for your guinea pig!

911guy

Cavy Slave
You can use PVC piping, and plastic tubes.

I've tried this and usually spend about 20 minutes trying to scrub out the pile of poop stuck to the ends. Now it's the empty oatmeal container with the end chopped off. They love those tunnels! The petstore also sells those wooden tunnels which my baby loves.

rubies1883

Cavy Slave
I actually hung long strings of plastic shower curtain rings up. All 5 of my piggies go nuts, but they should be rinsed off every once in a while. Also, they really like the paper towel rolls and the large "Chubes" that, I am sorry to say, I bought at PetSmart. If you are interested, at petsmart.com, type in "Chubes" in the search box. Piggies love to chew on these.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.