Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to train your bunny?

CavyM

Cavy Slave
HI Guys
I was wandering how to you train your bunny to use a litter box?
Thanks

I used to have rabbits and I would buy the litter box put some poops and soiled bedding in and in about a week my netherland dwarf Copper a male was litter box trained. Pretty simple.

bunny

ok so you can do that even if the new bunny is used to bedding?
cinn&sprinslave said:
I used to have rabbits and I would buy the litter box put some poops and soiled bedding in and in about a week my netherland dwarf Copper a male was litter box trained. Pretty simple.

CavyM said:
ok so you can do that even if the new bunny is used to bedding?[/QUOTE

Ya it should work my netherland dwarf was about a year when I got him and he was kept in a cage filled with carefresh and he still was able to be litter box trained.

cage

ok cool!!
I can not wait ot get started!!!:)

CavyM said:
HI Guys
I was wandering how to you train your bunny to use a litter box?
Thanks
First your rabbit must be spayed/neutered. This not only makes litter training 100% easier, it will prolong your rabbit's life and can eliminate or reduce any hormonal/territorial behavior. Start with a small area and you may need multiple litterboxes, gradually increase the area. Do not use any type of pine bedding as it can cause liver damage and liver disease in rabbits. Go to www.rabbit.org for a lot more info on litter training.

bunnyluv17 said:
First your rabbit must be spayed/neutered. This not only makes litter training 100% easier, it will prolong your rabbit's life and can eliminate or reduce any hormonal/territorial behavior. Start with a small area and you may need multiple litterboxes, gradually increase the area. Do not use any type of pine bedding as it can cause liver damage and liver disease in rabbits. Go to www.rabbit.org for a lot more info on litter training.[/QUOTE

My rabbit was not nuetered when I trained him. I just kept him in a small cage for a week with a litter box and he used it. Floor time training is harder I had to have multiple litter boxes around the room and place him in the when I flet he was goin to go. It took longer than litter box training in his cage but it payed off. Because then he was house trained.

Rabbits should always be neutered and spayed, especially females. Female rabbits have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer. Fixed rabbits live longer, healthier lives and make better pets. Neutered males hardly ever spray or hump. Fixing also reduces aggression and territorial issues, and helps make litter training easier.

bunnyluv17 said:
Rabbits should always be neutered and spayed, especially females. Female rabbits have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer. Fixed rabbits live longer, healthier lives and make better pets. Neutered males hardly ever spray or hump. Fixing also reduces aggression and territorial issues, and helps make litter training easier.[/QUOTE

Yes I agree they should be spayed and nuetered simply because you don't want babies and males will become mean if not nuetered as they get older. I did nueter my bunny, just after he was litter box trained.

bunny

Thanks guys . I will make sure the rabbnit is s/n and also thanks for all the advice!!:)

1st if bunny is neauterd, do it now! then it will be 100 % eaiser, i speak from experience!
if done that then place some soiled bedding in the tray and if your rabbit litter tray is in the run, is it in touch with carpet, i foud that my rabbit wont use a litter tray when their is carpet a\round, now his litter tray is in his run (its a wooden run) and after that he was trained in a day!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.