Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

1 rodent-person and 2 tribble-brothers

Spacehamster

Cavy Slave
All my life the pets that were my pets, were all rodents.
Actually they were all cavies and hamsters.
When I got my nick and domainname "spacehamster" my last pet was a hamster.
That hamster, Bobby a syrian, never got out of my mind even 14 years after his death.

I've developed a principal anti-pet attitude because it's bad to own lifeforms and I absolutely hate that petshops sell animals to anyone willing to pay even those who treat them badly.
But lately I kept noticing ads of people doing away pets because they regretted having pets or got litters that got too old and I wondered where those animals would end up.

I decided to get a hamster that didn't came from a shop.

I decided to give that hamster a huge big cage.
I feared being broken about the demise of a short living creature so I decided to get 2 hamsters.
So I ordered 2 rabbitcages, the biggest I could find, to build into hamster cages.
After a project of weeks me and my friend finished a nice hamster-villa, but we had a mess and got reluctant towards the idea of altering the other cage.
Then while scanning ads for hamsters I noticed the huge amounts of cavies that needed a new home.
Remembering my first cavy, Gompy, I got all weak.
I thought that cavies were messy, not too exciting, but also darn cute.....
Anyway I decided not to alter the second cage and adopted 2 boy cavies from a free inbred unsocial litter.
They even arrived before the hamster, a very wellbehaved handsome russian dwarf, got into his villa.

All beasts took a while to socialize.
The hamster was friendly first because he already learned that human hands are foodbringers.
The cavies were simply shocked at being moved to live on their own and ran away from every move.
Because cavies are a lot like tribbles ( see: Tribble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) I thought it be fun to give them klingon names.
The one that was slightly more curious than scared I called Worf, because he tends to mingle somewhat with humans. The other one just ran away at everything and kept hiding until it was quiet long enough I called Kahless, because he's such a "hero".

Soon I found out that most things I knew about cavy behaviour were plain WRONG!
I've known several caves, but this was the first time I saw popcorning. Never before had I seen cavies so active. And never had I realized they were smart creatures that can learn stuff and games.
A new world of cavy opened for me.

With a lot of patience, attention and loads of veggies they're finally a lot more social.
Worf even often forgets to object me petting him or picking him up.
They both are now very cute lap-cavies. Even when they're both on my lap.
They're also very photogenic. From time to time they come with great expressions or moves.

It wasn't quite my intention to have cavies but I don't regret it even for a microsecond.
They make me laugh each day and I love to spoil them. ❤️

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got some sweet pigs.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I found your intro. very entertaining! I like the sound of the cage you converted for your hamster. Do you have plans to build a C&C cage for your tribbles, I mean guinea pigs?

You say they are photogenic - we LOVE photos on here! Lets see pigtures!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Yes, bring on the photos! Your cages sound interesting too, can we see both of them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.