Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Cornwall, UK

Rach44

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, just a few lines to introduce myself and my little man George. I found you tonight as I have been really worried about George as he had not eaten solid food for over a week now. I took him to the local animal hospital on Saturday for an operation. They clipped and filed his teeth and gave him a couple of jabs, but had expected him to be eating within a couple of days. I took him back on Tuesday and they just gave me more formula to feed him. Very worrying, although I am enjoying feeding him, I think guinea pigs get most of their pleasure from eating and he still comes looking for food, but seems unable to eat it.
Anyway, now I have seen your fantastic cages and armchairs for piggies!!! I will be getting lots of get well ideas for George!
I have to go now as George is due one more feed before bed, but would love to hear from anyone with any tips or a point in the right direction for any more advice. Gosh, I can waffle on can't I! Rach x

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry your George is not feeling well. Did the vet have any idea why George was not or unable to eat? Are you feeding him Critical Care food or are you mashing up pellets? Have you tried re-endroducing soft veggies? This will be the best site for some help as so many are very knowledgeable on the care of GP's. Keep us posted on how George is doing.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Glad you found us. Take a look on Guinea Lynx and see what you can find to help you with George.
Guinea Lynx :: Index

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Is he able to grasp his food, or does he not have an appetite? If they clipped his teeth, they make have clipped them too short. What type of formula are you feeding him now?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Did they trim his back teeth as well? If they only did the front then he may be having trouble eating because he can't grasp his food with his front teeth. He may need you to help him get strands of hay to the back of his bouth for chewing along with shredded veggies.

If his back teeth were trimmed as well then he may be in pain and that is why he doesn't want to chew. In this case ask your vet for a pain med for him. I'm rather surprised that the vet didn't seem more concerned about his lack of interest in solid food. You may want to try a different vet for a second opinion.

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
Please get well little George.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
What formula have you been given for handfeeding?

Rach44

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much for your advice and good wishes. Unfortunately George is still not able to eat. I am convinced that his problem still lies with his teeth though as he still wants to eat, he calls for food and plays with it, shakes it and hides it in the corner for later. He has managed the middle of a grape and a few pieces of grass, but nothing more and he really struggles. He doesn't even attempt anything hard like runner beans, celery or carrots. He is on 'Science Recovery' a sachet a day, made by Supreme Pet Products. I have to get the food from the vets (an animal hospital) and they are very reluctant to let me have it (I pay for it!). George has had a shot of pain killer when we have attended there, but they say they can't give my anything to take away. They trimed his front teeth and filed down his molars and said he had a lesion in his mouth or throat, but that they think it should have healed by now. It's all very worrying :weepy: I took him to work with me on Friday so I could give him more regular feeds, but am not allowed to do it again. Thanks again for your good wishes. Hopefully next post I will have some good news for you. Rach. Ps. Any tips for making my photos small, I need to loose another 0.48 to get George on here!

Rach44

Cavy Slave
Oh, it's worked, you can see my lovely George now, he's soooo handsome, I love him loads.
Rach

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
They trimed his front teeth and filed down his molars and said he had a lesion in his mouth or throat, but that they think it should have healed by now.

Did they say his molars were growing in crooked? Often overgrown molars can rub againt their cheeks or tongue making a lesion.

Rach44

Cavy Slave
No, they didn't say that, although his front top teeth are growing at an angle, perhaps they nicked his cheek when they were filing his teeth. I have kept guinea pigs since I was 7 and never had a piggie with overgrown teeth, I always thought it happened to rabbits exclusively.

Rach44

Cavy Slave
:weepy: Bad news for George and me. George had a second operation as his teeth were still overgrowing due to the liquid diet. It is now four days and he is now refusing liquid feed and smells awful and has a weepy eye. I can see that his front top and bottom teeth are completely misaligned. I am going to take him back to the vets tomorrow, and I suspect I will not be bringing him home. He is desperate to eat, he runs towards any food offered and even trys to pick it up, but is unable to. I feel that he is really suffering now and that it would be kinder to call an end to it. I feel really sad and have been very tearful and day, but am still hoping there will be some sort of a miracle over night.
Thanks for listening.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Oh how awful for you and George. I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Sending you very best wishes, both.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Rach, I know you did everything you could for George. It seems that he won't let you go and you have to be the one to let go first. I am so sorry.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for George and hopefully will get better.

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
I can hope with you that there may be some kind of miracle, & George can improve someway. Goodness to you both.

Rach44

Cavy Slave
:weepy: Poor George went to sleep at the vets this morning. It was very peaceful and I know he felt very safe in my arms, but I have had an awful day. My mother came round while I was at work and cleaned everything up and now I wish she hadn't as I can't smell his little piggy smell. I still wonder if there was something that could have been done, but the vet assured me there couldn't. I can't be without a piggy for long, so I expect I will go to the RSPCA at the weekend to see about rehoming another two. Thanks to everyone for your good wishes, I will hopefully be back on with better news soon.
Best wishes Rach.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about George. There is nothing I can say, except that I have been there...

Look forward to hearing how you get on at the RSPCA.

RIP little George.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost your pig. It's always hard to lose a loved one.

We have a lot of UK members on the forum. Perhaps one of them can direct you to another vet. There may not have been anything else that could have been done for George, but personally, if it were me, I would be investigating other vet options, especially since your vet initially didn't seem too concerned about George's lack of solid food intake.

I hope that new pig eases your grief soon. :)

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
It is sad to loose your beloved little George. May your memories of him return your joy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.