Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello All!!!

Captain CavyMan

Cavy Slave
I had been wanting a small and furry for a while. So I began researching which critter would best fit our home. We decided on piggys. That's what my girls call them. I read and reread this site, Cavy Spirit and Guinea Lynx. And then adopted two of the cutest little fellas from a rescue in OH. I wish I had a computer that wasn't so ancient so I could share pictures of my guys enjoying their new home! We have had so much fun constructing their home and "furnishing" it. P.S. I'm a girl. But Captain CavyWoman just doesn't have the same ring to it.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I love the name! Captain Cavy would have been more gender neutral, but oh well! Just don't get upset if we forget and mistake you for a he! Congrats on adopting! And welcome to the forum.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Welcome! What did you name your little guys?

Caramel Cookie

Cavy Slave
Cool name! Looking forward to hearing more about your new piggies! :)

Captain CavyMan

Cavy Slave
Oh!! I forgot their names!! We were throwing around names one night at Dairy Queen and my husband blurted out "Lenny and Squiggy". I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my Blizzard. And Squiggy certainly does resemble the character!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I love the names.

HarrysDad

Cavy Slave
And here I thought another guy had joined the wonderful world ruled by cavies.

Captain CavyMan

Cavy Slave
Sorry HarrysDad. Girl. However, my son, 6, has decided that he wants a gp also. Since my youngest daughter is too young still, 2 years old, to do much except squeal and laugh at the piggys, I've decided to let him call Squiggy his own. He is very helpful, so far. He brushes Squiggy and helps me set up and clean up after "piggy time" aka floor time. Today was a major breakthrough - my son was able to pick up Squiggy!! Previously, he had been a bit jittery about picking up something quite so wiggly.

HarrysDad

Cavy Slave
Just be very, very careful with ones that young handling a pig. They are very fragile and we don't want anyone to get hurt.

Captain CavyMan

Cavy Slave
We are very careful. The children are always supervised when with the piggys. They cannot get into the cage because I have it bungeed shut. And my 4 year old has tried. My two year old is not allowed to handle, hold, the piggys. But she sure enjoys petting them and watching them run around during floor time. My four year old is a miniature Dr. Doolittle. She is very keen to animals and empathic. She follows directions well and can pick up and hold the piggys correctly. My six year old, bless his heart, is afraid of his shadow, and has a difficult time adjusting to new situations. He loves his piggy and wants to be affectionate with him - hold him, brush him, give him treats... But he's still new. One reason I chose guinea pigs is because they rarely bite. My son is learning that is true and is coming to trust his piggy more. And vice versa.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I only allow my granddaughter to hold the pigs when she is sitting down.

Welcome to the group. Have you made a C&C cage for them? I do wish we could see pigtures. The names are wonderful.

Captain CavyMan

Cavy Slave
My husband made a wonderful C&C cage for them. It is a 2x4 with a 2x2 upper level. Lenny loves to go up the tunnel to the 2nd level. Squiggy refuses to go anywhere near the tunnel. I keep trying to bait him up there with juicy tidbits, clementines are his favorite. To no avail.

As soon as we get a new computer (hopefully in the next few weeks) I will post pictures of the piggys and our cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.