Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wooden hidey houses - DIY tips?

zoepiglet

Cavy Slave
Minnie & co. moved into their 2 level 2x4 (currently seperate levels) last week, towards the end of which Minnie was seperated from her three baby boys. I've been pretty determined that most, if not all of their toys and houses will be made from chewable wood, but having given Minnie her own bunny-sized log cabin (that she'll no doubt quickly outgrow) I've realised that these are far too clumpy for a 2x4, especially with providing a neutral space for multiple pigs. The boys have a selection of small cardboard boxes that they chew at. I'd like to make a few of my own wooden houses according to my own ideas of my piggy needs, and wondered if any of you had done the same and had any learnings to share.

Pictures of the new cage soon - we are going to add a ton of cool stuff to it in the next week or so. They are already so happy and do laps at the crack of dawn (their cage is in our bedroom!) and popcorn all over the place. We are probably keeping them all - the thought of four tiny lives depending on me is daunting, but I love each of their little personalities and finding a home that would put me at ease seems so unlikely. I am becoming so tired of annoying well-wishing (?) friends/family who think keeping four pigs (three males in particular) is insane and try to aid rehoming. It is very frustrating to hear people have been asking around "for me". My only response has been - "yeah, if someone can keep two males together in a cage bigger than mine and correctly answer my questions about feeding, call me.". Should work, but how sad it is that I will probably have to explain this madness of mine through their entire lifespans.

Still reading up on these sites and feel like I learn something new every day. Our plans for keeping the pigs are one fixed male kept with Minnie, and two boys together with arrangements changed through adolescence.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

zoepiglet

Cavy Slave
Wow, thanks! That is an excellent idea - I may draw up plans for something similar.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Well if you get some wood, you can just put stuff together until you find a way you like it then you can just nail it together. Thats what I did for my previous piggy. (I sadly threw it away thinking I wasnt getting another piggy... now I have 3)

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
What sort of wood is suitable to use? As I was always scared of splintering.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Any answers about the wood suitable? I know it can take a while for someone who knows to answer. I'm just putting it back up the list as its an interesting question as a lot of people would love to make stuff. I would as I've recently got a jigsaw cutter and power cutter! So I'm raring to go!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Most untreated woods wil be okay but avoid cedar. Pine would be cheapest and is five to use. If the wood has excess splintering you can sand that off.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Thank you!! So I guess it's just a question of keeping an eye on splintering, which is no problem at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.