Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Tofu

C&K

Cavy Slave
Yes, Tofu, that funny, 4 letter word that most people seem to react to with gagging sounds or laughter!

Well, today, I made my first real Tofu meal, and the family seemed pretty happy with it!

I have tried, and failed (misserably) before!

Most of my creations end up binned, and the cereal boxes pulled out and served!

Not tonight. I think it might be the start of a good thing.

After a week of eating on his mothers diet, Carbs, Carbs, Carbs, with a side of meat, my husband is screaming for veggies! I have been talking and talking to him about reasons to go veggie, and he was willing to do anything to see a meal that contained plant matter again! Including giving this funny stuff called Tofu one more shot.

Early this afternoon, I took one package of extra firm Tofu out of the fridge, cut it up into tiny cubes, and mixed up a sauce to let it marinade in.

Couple tablespoons of Honey; Some soy sauce; several cloves of garlic crushed; a piece of ginger about as big as my pinky finger shredded; a bit of olive oil; 1/2 an onion chopped; a can of baby corn, a can of pinapple; and a little bit of hot pepper sauce. (Next time I think it would be good to add some sesame seed oil, and perhaps some sunflower seeds)

5 hours later, upon returning home with a hungry hoard behind me, I took it out of the fridge, threw it into a pan, and cooked it up with 1 green pepper, and maybe 1/2? A bag of frozen mixed veggies (broccoli, carrots and onion mix).

My 11 year old looked at it, and panicked! "IS THIS TOFU?!" Flashbacks roaring through his head! My husband told him to try it, if he did not like it, to eat around it. He questioned the texture, was told to pretend it was cheese, and then ATE IT! We where in shock, but he ate the whole meal. Generally, he hates stirfrys, I have fought with him all his life to "eat his meat" but here this strange forbidden substance was... consumed! Very strange.

My 2 year old did not eat much, but considering he was scarfing back pieces of tofu fresh out of the package right off my cutting board earlier, I don't think it was because of the tofu! My husband said he was very impressed and set the leftovers aside for his lunch at work.

He works with a lot of vegatarian men at work, and is no stranger to Indian cooking, which is largely vegatarian, but he his hoping the tofu will pass for chicken on appearance, as his co managment team is about as redneck or white bread as you can get, and he would NEVER hear the end of it! (They think he is strange enough for joining in on the Indian potlucks!)

So, basically, I think I can make this work. I believe I can wean my family off of animal flesh! 7 years ago my husband would have dumped me for even suggesting it, but well, over time, things change I suppose.

The biggest thing with Tofu I think, is to give it a fair chance. You need to know how to cook it, you can't just throw it into a pan and ask it to perform magic! But, more importantly, people are like guinea pigs. We don't always accept new foods very easily, and need to try something a few times before we are willing to recognize it as being food! Afterall, how many people really enjoyed coffee or alcohol after their first sip? Meat was the same with all of my kids, most new foods where when they where really young, unless something had a ton of sugar in it, they wanted no part of it until some level of familiarity was built!

So, what else can I do with this strange new food substance? What other tricks do people have for using it effectively as a meat alternate?

Last edited:

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Since they all seem to be okay with tofu, why not give tempeh a try? I find that it has more flavour on its own than tofu (it is also a fermented soy bean product, but the beans are left sort of whole). I used to cut pieces into thick strips, marinate and grill them. Or try it on shish-ka-bobs. There is a way of freezing tofu so that it has a tougher more meat like texture when you cook it, but I haven't had it really work for me.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I will have to give the tempeh a try. However with the rest of the family, kids in particular, (other then freeloading 2 year old) I think the tofu only worked because it took on the taste of the sauce.

Any types of sauce you favour with your tempeh, or just on its own?

fairysari

Cavy Slave
A good soak in soy sauce, or better yet Bragg's sauce (it's just soy, no salt or anything added), then maybe a brush with some BBQ sauce if you are going to grill it. I've only ever done it on an indoor George Foreman grill.

That suace you make with soy and ginger and whatnot - you can tyr making it with some peanut butter in it. It tastes really good, but you might need to do it in a blender. Then you can leave out tofu from the stir fry and there is still protein in it.

C&K

Cavy Slave
hmmm... That is another good idea, with the peanut butter. I would probably want to knock down the oil a little bit. I wonder though, is peanut butter really enough though? It does not seem to have that much protien in it.

I am looking at a lable right now, per tablespoon, it has 8 grams of fat, 3 grams of carbs, and 3 grams of protein. That is not seem like much at all!

I think I am going to keep pushing the tofu for now, my youngest was eating it plain earlier, and he spits out freely anything he does not like. (He kept calling it Cheese, which he loves) And my oldest ate it more readily then he ever would have eaten beef. The only one who really picked at it was my 3 year old, and she is just at "that age" where everything is "yuck".

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
You have given me hope for my Tofu! I bought a brick, but I have yet to cook it because I'm scared of what it will turn out as. I know a lot of people like it, but it is the butt end of so many veggie jokes. I will try a stir fry with it some time this week. I actually bought some seaseme seed sauce just for it.

C&K

Cavy Slave
You have given me hope for my Tofu! I bought a brick, but I have yet to cook it because I'm scared of what it will turn out as. I know a lot of people like it, but it is the butt end of so many veggie jokes.

HA!! Don't I know it.

You better cook it up soon though because if it stays in your fridge much longer, it will grow into a tofu monster, bust out of your fridge, and run a muck in your home, sending everything into chaos and leaving a distructive path of mayham!

The guinea pig in me kept thinking "this is weird" just because I really could not identify with it, almost more texture then taste. I think it is mind over matter, I just kept telling myself it was like a soft cheese! (So brain is sayin cheese texture, but also chicken by taste, torn in two directions, but at least it was not soft mushy chicken!) I highly recommend letting is marinade in whatever sauce you want to use first for a few hours at least though! That seemed to make a huge difference this time.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I will marinade it and tell you how it goes. The true test will be seeing if hubby will eat it. No big deal for me if he doesn't, more left overs for me. But I'm not cooking him something different. Hee hee.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Tofu = :sick:

I have tried it all kinds of ways, and I can tolerate it SOMETIMES if it is cooked really well. The problem is not the taste, because it has none. The problem is that everytime I have a piece of tofu I can't help but think that somewhere some poor pencil is missing its eraser.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I will marinade it and tell you how it goes. The true test will be seeing if hubby will eat it. No big deal for me if he doesn't, more left overs for me. But I'm not cooking him something different. Hee hee.

Tonight, I made a salad with Tofu. I had a Meditarainian (sp?) dressing, and it was really good. I took about 1/2 a package of extra firm tofu, and put it into a ziplock bag with the dressing for a few hours. I also added a 1/4 cup of cheader cheese, and some slivered almonds. I liked it, DH liked it, I decided just to make the kids a ceaser instead. (they eat that) We also had some corn on the cob.

I think it would be easy if you had DH cook up some chicken cubes ahead of time, to do a 1/2 and 1/2 pretty easy for things like this, then at the last minute, you just put the Tofu on yours, chicken (or another meat) on your husbands.

Tommorow, we are not eating Tofu! Too much of a good thing is never a good thing! I am thinking of making a salmon loaf instead, as I said, not ready to 100% take the dive into the world of herbivores...

Tofu = :sick:

I have tried it all kinds of ways, and I can tolerate it SOMETIMES if it is cooked really well. The problem is not the taste, because it has none. The problem is that everytime I have a piece of tofu I can't help but think that somewhere some poor pencil is missing its eraser.

Well, I think that is part of the game, getting used to the texture. Humans generally don't like many things when they first eat them, but often get to a point they can't live without them! Most kids under 12 will not eat a steak, my little ones both did not like ground burger for the longest time, it took months of pushing it on them to get them to eat it. A lot of people don't like eggs the first few times. Many people who work with my husband think cheese is disgusting because it is not in their cultural background. What person really likes their first beer or cup of coffee?

Eraser though, that is interesting, it is possible you have a type that is too firm? I find mine had the consistancy of a soft cheese...

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I like tofu if it is cooked right.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
RE the eraser comments: Cooked I think it is nice and soft, the raw tofu is what I think has the EXACT consistency of an eraser.

I think you make some great points. Perhaps just forcing it for a while, might make me like it. I definately like the coffee analogy, it is so right on. I would love to love tofu, it's such a great source of protein.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
C&K have you tried the Veggie Ground Round by Yves? Most grocery stores around the province (especially Loblaws, Zehrs, that chain) seem to carry it. You can put it in tacos, chili, pasta sauce, lasagna, anything. Or you could just make any of those things for dinner and leave the meat out! Kids probably wouldn't even notice.

The best ever tofu I had ever ever ever is at a Chinese restaurant called Cynthia's in Vaughan (Thornhill), ON. It's super crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth on the inside and covered in a sticky dark suace that's so... mmmm.... OK, I need to go eat there as soon as possible. I'm going to have to convince my parents to take me.

C&K

Cavy Slave
RE the eraser comments: Cooked I think it is nice and soft, the raw tofu is what I think has the EXACT consistency of an eraser.

Hmm... I put a 1/2 block of tofu raw into my salad last night, and it was fine, no eraser texture... I still wonder if it is the brand / firmness that you have bought? I would play around with different types, see if there are some you perfer over others.

C&K have you tried the Veggie Ground Round by Yves? Most grocery stores around the province (especially Loblaws, Zehrs, that chain) seem to carry it. You can put it in tacos, chili, pasta sauce, lasagna, anything. Or you could just make any of those things for dinner and leave the meat out! Kids probably wouldn't even notice.

No, I have not yet, will have to wait for our next two week shop. Schneiders also makes a ground product, so maybe I'll try both. The biggest problem we have, is cost wise, if it is a lot more then ground beef, that really starts hurt the grocery budget. When feeding one or two people like this, the difference is not that noticeable, but with a larger family on a tight budget as it is, it gets tough!

I think it is really important to keep up a high level of protien. I find if I don't get enough, I feel like crap and just get hungry right away.

The last month was really tight and we carbed a lot of meals, while we could cut the grocery bill in about 1/2 by not eating the meat and veggies that we should, we felt like crap, constantly back in the bread or cereal after just having eaten recently, and my butt must have grown three sizes or something! ;)

The best ever tofu I had ever ever ever is at a Chinese restaurant called Cynthia's in Vaughan (Thornhill), ON.
When we move to Brampton, I am sure we will go there, not as far then, and well, the Manderian will be out with the side of cow that is always served with it!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I love love *love* the tofu at Teriyaki/Made in Japan. It's a healthy fast food place found in many GTA malls. They use this flat type of grill and they grill the tofu in water and teriyaki sauce. It has this winderful egg like texture when it's done.

My husband and I always share a plate since it's so filling. I always sit there and keep eating the tofu and not the noodles and veggies (though I try to eat more veggies these days.) But he'll try to steal the tofu from me sometimes. We have little chopstick fights.

I have no clue how to cook it like that at home. If I ever figure it out you will all be the first to know.

I am so going there this weekend after this thread. We *do* have to go to the mall to get my SIL's baby shower gift. I suppose we could have lunch there. :D

C&K

Cavy Slave
I love love *love* the tofu at Teriyaki/Made in Japan. It's a healthy fast food place found in many GTA malls. They use this flat type of grill and they grill the tofu in water and teriyaki sauce. It has this winderful egg like texture when it's done.

Mmm.... I used to just about live off their noodles when I was in St. Catharines! Although I never did have the tofu.

We have an Edo Japan place in our food courts in Hamilton, it just is not the same, I HATE those thick noodles they use, I used to eat at Teriyaki/Made in Japan about 1-2 times a month, now I have not been to Edo in over a year, it just is not the same, although they cook with the same flat grill it seems.

I am thinking that us Canadains should have a Vegetarian sticky, probably in the Canadian forum? It is hard to get into it if you don't know where you can get good food! And we just don't have the same labels it seems as our American friends!

Edit:

Ohh!! I found two in Hamilton, one at Mac and one at Limridge! Now I am happy, I thought the one at Limridge was an Edo too! Glad I was wrong!

(broken link removed)

Last edited:

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Alright C&K, this thread has convinced me to give the tofu another run. I tried it a while back and could barely swallow . . .I will let you know :)

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
WEAVER said:
Alright C&K, this thread has convinced me to give the tofu another run. I tried it a while back and could barely swallow . . .I will let you know :)

Same here. It's the texture that bothers me the most. Sometimes I can tolerate it, but most of the times... Anyways, here's an idea for a tofu dish that my dad makes me, and I can actually eat it! My dad owns a thai restaurant and has a page of veggie meals on the menu. For my birthday earlier this week, he created a brand new veggie dish to add just for me! It's served on a little wooden tray with four small square white dishes in the center. Each dish has something different: eggplant parm, veggie spring roll, some thai thing that I can't remember but was really good, and TOFU RAVIOLIS! They're so good! I don't really know how he makes them, but he puts a cube of tofu inside a wonton noodle thing, and cooks it. The wonton gets really crispy, and the tofu gets a little crispy. He puts it in this asian sauce and it's so good! I'll have to ask him for the recipe to share with you guys, but I don't know if he'll choke it up!

Weatherlight

Cavy Slave
I am terrible at cooking so I don't even try, and I'm sure if I tried cooking tofu everyone would vomit :D I have read that to get the texture right for stir-fries and the like, you should get extra-firm, drain the tofu, place it between paper towels, then place something heavy (like a pot) on top of the whole paper-towel-tofu-sandwich. This will press out the water. When I visited my veg/freegan friend a few weeks ago, I learned a new trick! She uses only half a package of tofu per meal, so she drains the whole thing, takes out the half she's going to cook with, then leaves the other half in the fridge to dry out. Then it's perfect, not too watery, when it's time to use that half. It's the lazy effective way ;)

You can cut it up really small to get the sauce's flavor to soak in really well before stirfrying or whatever.

As for peanut butter, I'd drain off the oil that collects on top. There is a lot of fat in that stuff.

Another thing you people might like is seitan. You basically get wheat gluten flour, make a dough of it, and cook it. You can flavor it with both powders and liquids--mix the powder in with the flour before adding water, or put the liquid in the brother you cook it in. It's like 70% protein and nice for people with soy allergies (just not for people with wheat allergies).

C&K, what sort of carbs were you eating? Eating mainly refined carbs isn't good for anyone. Whole grains are a lot better. Try those for your carbohydrates.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
You can get peanut butter that is only made out of peanuts now. Maybe that would be healthier. At the very least it doesn't have sugar.

I use it when I am cooking. Since it has to stay in the fridge I find it too hard to use on toast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.