Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

3 way introductions

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
In preperation for when Teddy comes home (he's gets neutered tommorrow so keep him in your thoughts) when he is introduced to my 2 girls once he is in the clear-do I put all three in together or would you suggest putting him in first with one girl and then the second after a bit?

Howie, not sure at all about your cage. What i did was section off part of my cage and put Doolittle in it. He was there for about 4 weeks all together. During that time he and the girls got to know each other well through the prison bars. When he was cleared for take off, we did a floortime in the kitchen and it went as smooth as silk. Huge salad and hay pile.
3 way introductions

You have probably seen this pic.
3 way introductions

When I introduced Eddie to Tarzan and Trixie, I started out holding Eddie, while my sister held the Trixie and Tarzan. We sat with our feet out and touching to make a little barrier. I had a dustpan to seperate just incase. After that went fine, I put them all in their floor time pen, in a different spot than usual, so it didn't have Trixie and Tarzan's scent on it.

I have 3 girls that I am going to introduce to Dexter after he gets neutered (on the 18th, we're going through the same thing :goodvibes ) Recently I have been putting up a cube wall in the girls cage and putting Dexter in the part without the girls for about an hour every day. Hopefully they have been getting used to each other.
I would think that introducing them all at the same time is the best idea, then you won't have to deal with into-ing your girls all over again. Good luck with Teddy!

Thanks, now I have a game plan. I have a 2 x 5 with a 1 X 2 loft. I was going to section off the 2X5 after he is in the clear from his neutering. Maisey managed to lift the grid when I had her and Belle seperated and I do not want any accidental pregnancies. I was going to remove the ramp so there is no access to the loft during the sectioned off period. Do I have to keep them seperated for a month? Is a 2 x 5 big enough to section off for three pigs? Two in one side, and one in the other? Sasha said he weighs 3 pounds.

Why is my mind always in the gutter.
I think that sounds like a good idea Howie.

The separation time is 3 weeks. Right now Doolittle is back with the girls but sectioned off until we get these abscesses under control. I gave him a 2 x 2.5 section. It is not great but better than the stupid pet store cage and he is doing so well being with his womenses. He is gaining weight now without supplemental feedings. He was having problems with his manly parts and all in that stupid cage. Now all is well cause he can get out of the poos and pees and hay bits. I vac twice a day at least.
I don't want to say you can or cannot keep the girls in a 2 x 3 and Teddy in a 2 x 2 for 3 weeks. I will defer to a Mod.

I introduced my one current on to 2 others I put them all in at once.

When I introduced my 3 to my new one. I put my most submissive male in with the new one, then after a little bit added my other submissive male, then after a bit added my dominate one. This worked out fine, and it seems my dominate one has cooled down since meeting the new one.

Make sure they are on an unfairmillar area.

jdomans said:
I don't want to say you can or cannot keep the girls in a 2 x 3 and Teddy in a 2 x 2 for 3 weeks. I will defer to a Mod.
Well, the 2X3 would be minimal for the 2 girls, but should be fine since they will have Teddy on the other side of the fence. He would be fine with the 2X2 since he will be recovering after his neuter and essentially, you're making him a hospital cage. I wouldn't go longer than the 3 weeks with those measurements though.

Now for some reason I though 6 weeks was the full time to make sure he wasn't fertile after surgery. Is it only 3 weeks total? I was going to keep him in a 2X 2 1/2 cage by himself but near the girls for 3 weeks and spilt the cage off so they could be roomates for the last 3 weeks.

It is 3 weeks I promise! Scouts honor. Why would I lie? you wouldn't let the bridge down for me if I did!

Doolittle went right back in his 'section' of the main cage when he got home form his surgery. I gave him a nice pillow and he sat on it and kept up with his womenses through the grids!

Definitely just 3 weeks. Percy's intro has been delayed, but he's been safe to go with the girls for about a week now.

Oh good. I trust both of you! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding. What kind of pillow did you use?

Look at this pic and you will see Polly on a daisy pillow. I got them at Walgreen's. They wash very well. Any cushion will do that you can wash.

3 way introductions

Sable is on a pink one:
3 way introductions

Look at those piggies! All lounging on their pillows. That is just too cute.

I love those pillows! Cuties!

Always keep your eyes open.
Walgreens will have some really neat things. Those daisy pillows were 3 for $10. I have had them for months and just now have to sew on up after the wash. I also found 'solid' not hollow wind chimes there too. They were $1.99. Actually I got a few things for my garden theme for the cage. I am just waiting for Jeff to cut the plastic picket fence for the outside of it. Oh they also have some smaller 'pillows' that are in camoflauge or some say princess etc. They toss in the wash very easy but mine think they are a bit too small I guess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.