Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

ZanyPS

Cavy Slave
Hello to everyone.

Well... I have 3 male cavies, Our first one Oreo we adopted, he came in a pathetic cage with no room to speak of. I felt so sorry for him so then we (when I say we I mean me and my husband) built a C&C cage for him, but the poor thing just sat there as still as a bump on a log. Then I sat down and did some web surfing to see what was wrong with this poor guy, I was sure that it wasn't normal behavior. So we found him some young friends Smoke and Patches, to keep him company. Unfortunately we had to get them from a pet store so it took forever to introduce them to Oreo. Good Breeders are hard to find here in Alberta, Canada. The Introduction went great, better then we hoped for after everything we read.

Talking about reading I have read through a whole ton of web sites (about 20 or more including the ones you have linked) is there any good books on GP's anyone can recommend that would make a great read. Something technical would be best I'v already read enough basic info. on the web, and would like something with a lot more meat on it. Thanks.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad that you've built your pigs a bigger cage and that you got your original pig some friends.

I do need to tell you, though, that this is a rescue oriented forum. We encourage adopting animals from rescues and/or shelters, rather than purchasing animals from a pet store or breeder.

Please read through these links: https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18207 and (broken link removed).

We look forward to your continued participation on this forum. :)

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
As for a good book, you can get "Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs." by V.C.G. Richardson. It's a great medical book.

ZanyPS

Cavy Slave
Thank you I will see if I can get it at the library. I might have to get it ordered in at one of our book stores:)

I heartily agree with adopting and rescuing GP's. In Alberta, Canada I haven't found a rescue. The best bet is word of mouth, that's how we found Oreo. Calling local vet for unwanted (but you'd have to let them know your looking they don't hold them like dogs & cats), and a person could advertise in the newspaper that your looking, find a breeder, or go to Pet Store. And the latter two are not good options in our area the breeder supplies the pet store and our local breeder will not sell directly to you, you have to buy from the pet store nice circle. I am the only person I know who has adopted a GP in my area. More work needs done up here the view point is that small animals are a disposable pet when unwanted. Many people take care of unwanted pets themselves. Thinking it's a waste of time & money to put them down at the vet, when you can do it faster yourself or get a friend to. At least that's what I have seen in my area of Canada. I have to say that people who live in the city do use vet. services more so than country folk. It's a sad state of affairs and very illegal if caught.

All that aside we wanted young GP's to make introduction easier, we didn't want to bring an older adoptee home to find it was going to take forever, if ever to introduce them. But I could have been misinformed. I still would have preferred to find a reputable breeder!!!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
We have several Canadian members who assist with rescues. If you're ever going to add to your animal family, I'm sure they could assist you.

I have never heard that adopting an older guinea pig caused significant problems with introductions.

ZanyPS

Cavy Slave
Thanks I did't find them, we found lots for dogs and cats. I will make sure people I know send there unwanted small pets to one of those where they have a chance. It makes me so angry when I hear people dropping off unwanted pets in the back 40 or as I posted before taking care of it themselves.:mad: Its not fair!

Do all of them take and adopt out Gp's? My sister had called me a couple of day ago and asked if I wanted another GP but for now I'm at our limit. I'll have to pass on info. to her to pass on to her friend.

Last edited:

ZanyPS

Cavy Slave
jdomans said:
(broken link removed)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
(403) 279-9350

The link doesn't work.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Many of these places can connect you with others. That was the point of my looking them up. Rescues are usually in touch with one another, they work together. Sometimes you have to wait and other times there are pigs waiting for you. Also many babies are born in rescues. We are going to SC tomorrow and will be bringing back a 4 week old pig. Where I live in GA there may be a pig or may be nothing on petfinder. I have 4 rescues from SC. It is closer than going to Atlanta.

In other words, usually if there is a will, there is a way. As far as the link goes, I wouldn't know, but that place is mentioned over and over again on the Internet. This is when you call around to rescues and find out what is what. My 4 originally came from AL and were moved to SC after Katrina. So these places do know of each other.

C&K

Cavy Slave
So, just to get this straight, you know how to rummage up unwanted pigs, (vet offices, leads in the paper) you have already had to turn away a potentially unwanted animal because your petstore pigs have you at a full house, and dispite doing all this research, (here, other forums etc) you did not find any pigs and did not ask anyone if they could help you find a pig? Just decided buying was the only option?

We have several Alberta members. It is true pigs are a little harder to find then they are in other areas, but as you said, people are "still taking care of it themselves". Pigs are available, period.

Now, if we can move past the "I had to buy I had no choice", perhaps we can move onto something more constructive!

Generally there is no book out there yet that is better then the info you will find on the net. If you visit this link:

NEWBIES- Please Read This Post FIRST!!!
YOu will get a ton of reading info.

This one too:
Common Misconceptions about Guinea Pigs and their Care
Is a good read.

And of course, www.guinealynx.info has fabulous info about everything you could possibly need to know medical and care wise! Certainly a lot of "meat" out there on the net to be had!

ZanyPS

Cavy Slave
ZanyPS said:
I have read through a whole ton of web sites (about 20 or more including the ones you have linked) is there any good books on GP's anyone can recommend that would make a great read. Something technical would be best I'v already read enough basic info. on the web.

I have already read through those links.

Have you ever seen a map of Canada?
Have you been to Canada?

I have phoned the rescue links you gave me. I am still waiting for a call back from 2 and I have looked on the net and called several more. Some like the Calgary Guinea Pig Rescue are no longer open. Many only service dogs and cats. But I have found the The Edmonton and Calgary Human Societies will take Gp's but they said they hardly ever get any in. The lady who use to run the Calgary Guinea Pig Rescue told me the nearest Gp rescue is in Ontario. Oh it was also suggested to me to put an add in the Bargain finder by the humane society. Western Canada Is not anything like anywhere in the states.

We wanted young GP's Not fully grown, we wouldn't have taken him.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
C&K is from Canada.

Older pigs make just as good of pets as younger pigs do. It's unfortunate you wanted to limit yourself to young babies.

ZanyPS

Cavy Slave
What part of Canada? There is a difference between east and west canada, they have a larger population so more is available there.

Oreo Is older, and we read that the introduction goes easier when you introduce a young Pg to an older.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I am in Ontario. It is true, very far from Alberta, and there are not a ton of pigs homeless (fortunately) like there are in other parts of Canada / Us / world.

However, I can think of a few rescues in BC that have pigs all the time, so Ontario is definately not the closest place! That said, Vancouver or other BC locations is still one heck of an unreasonable drive and not really an option either!

I know though, that there are other members of GL and here that ARE in alberta. tcarey and Inrun are two GL members I know of from Alberta, LLBK and I believe a woman named Laura are also from Alberta on this forum. If you keep an eye on Petfinder ads, freecycle, local papers, contact vet offices, pigs just seem to come out of the woodwork!

Really, just because you are in an area not OVER RUN with pigs, does not mean there are not pigs to be had if you are a little patient. Sure, by buying at a petstore, you may not be causing an overpopulation crisis in your area, but you are most likely still supporting poor breeding practices, putting mother sows at risk, and possibly helping fund a mill or breeder who floods other markets that are not as lucky as Alberta!

As for needing babies to have a good intro, I am surprised that with all the reading you have done, you have not somewhat dispelled this myth! Many many people have placed adult boars together very easily or with only a little difficulty and created very successful pairs! While initial intros may be easier with a baby, you have no guarantees they will always get along! many little babies grow into agressive little alpha boars who challange for top pig position!

I know there may be a few books out there worth reading, but most of them are more medical then anything else. Most books about keeping pigs suck! The best info you can get is what you have found online. If you have further questions, about diet or some other topic in cavy care, I suggest asking it here or at GL, as you will get the best advice in where to persue this further info.

C&K

Cavy Slave
The Calgary Humane society has 6 pigs right now! Granted, they are not all male, and the boars seem to be bonded, a pair of 3 year olds, and a pair of 1 year olds.

If you did not want to risk an older bonded pair with your guy, fine, but the point is, I don't think there is an absence of pigs in Calgary, most Ontario shelters seem to have no more then 6 at a time!

On petfinder, Paradise Valley also has pigs. So does Saskatoon in neighbouring Saskachewan! Maybe more of a drive then you are interested in, that too, depending on where you are in Alberta, is understandable!

Edmonton, is in worse shape, they have 5 males too, all looking under a year and a half old, one only a month and a half old! They also have 9 females!

So much for no shelter pigs in Alberta!

Houston, I think we are developing an Alberta problem! Or at least, summer dumping season is in full swing!

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Belle was over two years old when I adopted her and placed her with Maisey (who was barely 6 months old at the time.) There can be may benfits to adding a younger and older pig together. Establishing domiance with each can be easier since age plays a factor.

C&K

Cavy Slave
If you want to play that game (older / younger pairing) 6 months is too old. They are becoming twerps at that age!

It can help, sure, but many people have been very successful with older pairings, babies do not guarantee long term success, and individual personality will play a big role in the final outcome!

I believe RyanR has introduced 5 adult boars together?

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Personality definately plays a role. Maisey was introduced to two females before she personally chose Belle at the rescue I went to. Pigs are like people. Some they like and others they don't.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Howie the point C&K is making is that to limit yourself to only young pigs is just that limiting yourself. It is also leaving many wonderful pigs in rescue without homes. Babies are not that available. My 8 furries where all adults when introduced. We had Polly and Jenny and then rescued the 4 girls and then Doolittle who was in fact 2.

Nobody should close their eyes on a pig because of age. Personality is one thing, but age is another issue. The two don't go hand in hand.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I think there is a miscommunication going on because I entirely agree with you. As I said, Belle was over the age of two when I got her. I am all for adopting older pigs. I was trying to relay to her that she didn't need to worry about pairing an older pig with a younger. I'll need to re read what I wrote-I apparently wasn't very clear.

I was addressing that she said she read it was easier to pair a young pig with another young pig. To clarify, I was saying that it wasn't always true. Had I already found this sight before I purchased Maisey, I would have adopted another older pig like Belle. I have found to personally prefer older pigs myself. You miss the adolesence fussiness. I would encourage people to look into adopting older pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.