Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bad News

Jordyandkerri

Cavy Slave
Well, Kerri and I are both moving off to college in August and when applying for my apartment, I found out that they do not allow pets. I'm really frustrated because I have no options to work with. My only hope is that the company who owns the unit I'm renting from does not do inspections. If I find out that they do not, theres a huge walk-in closet that has "pigpin" all over it. =) If they do inspections, I suppose they're going to warn us a day or so in advance so I may still take him and just run him to my friends apartment while they inspect. This could all be a pipe dream on my part, however, I'm going to hold on to hope that it will work out. If any has had a familiar situation, please give me some advice or your personal account of how you dealt with it.

bigbrother
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Jordyandkerri

Cavy Slave
I would assume they do, however, I am not sure and I'm hoping someone is/has been in a similar situation so that they may convey some information on how to get this to work out. I really do not want to have to give him to a Pig Rescue or anything. I'm not really even open to leaving him in the care of a family member. I love him too much.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
My apartment doesn't allow pets either. I went and spoke with the landlord. I told him I wanted to keep guinea pigs and told him they would be in a cage and in no way could they damage the apartment. He did a walk through of the apartment before we moved in recording all the damage it already had (i.e. stains in the carpet, scratches in the tile) and had me sign a contract saying that I would be responsible to any damages the pigs caused I'd be responsible for.

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
My apartment outlaws pets too-- but the consequences if caught? Paying to get the carpet professionally cleaned. A lot, but I just will bite the bullet if that happens. I'm looking into moving into a house when my lease is up

Jordyandkerri

Cavy Slave
I dont know how the renters will work on inspections and such. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask if I can take your route PiggieMom. I'm willing to do just about anything to keep my pig.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Good luck! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

The penalties are very severe in my case if I didn't have the landlords permission. I get charged $200 a day for each pet for as long as they've been here. I've been here three months though and my landlord has yet to come by unannounced. My neighbor has a secret dog. I won't say anything unless I find poo in front of my door.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Usually a not pets apartment means no cats or dogs, but it might not hurt to ask. Ours have a pet fee, that I didn't know about. So when they did their, once every 3 months, inspection and saw our cats we had to just pay them the pet fee. It wasn't too bad, they didn't get mad because I went in there crying saying I didn't know about it, which was the truth. Plus here in Mt Pleasant SC all cats have to be indoor cats as a rule, you aren't allowed to let them just run loose. I know there are several in my neighborhood who do though. One tomcat named Stinky, unfortunate name isn't it, comes by every morning around 10 and my two girls go to the window and just sit there looking at him while he looks at them. They're both spayed and never go outside, but I think they are meowing escape plans through the window.

My official opinion is to ask what their definition of a pet is and to explain that you have a Cavy and it is a pet that is under 10 pounds and is in a cage and will not cause any damage to the property and see what they say. Good luck!

Jordyandkerri

Cavy Slave
I called and asked whomever answered the phone if I could have a caged pet and she blatently said "No." I'm going to call tomorrow and ask for the apartment manager and try to work out a contract, if not, I'm going to bite the bullet and take him with me. He's my partner in crime.

Philja23

Cavy Slave
From my appartment hunting, most places don't really consider anything a 'pet' unless it's a dog, cat, or large reptile. My roommate was recenlty hiding his pit, when the complex found out he just had to pay the pet fee and because it's a large dog they're not going to renew our lease at the end of the month. I'd sneak them in there...just hide them in the closet if you happen to need to.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I found exactly the same as Philja23. I asked if I could have a small pet and they said yes, they really only considered pets to be cats and dogs, and even then if you are willing to pay for professional cleaning it is acceptable as long as you have permission.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Where do you live?

In Ontario, even if the lease says that there are no pets allowed, legally they cannot prevent you from having a pet. It is an invalid clause in the lease. The only way a landlord can do anything about that is if your animal causes damage.

Just don't tell them, you'll be fine.

CapuPebbles

Cavy Slave
Where I live they don't allow pets either but I have had my piggies for more than a year and they haven't notice. Sometimes I get scared that I might get caught when they wheek so loud but for now it is all good.

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
HI,
I live in an apartment/small house and the contract says "no pets allowed". However, I've kept my pigs for over a year now and nobody noticed.
At times I have been scared when they wheek so loud too, but the neighbours haven't said anything. They haven't said anything either about the fleece, blankets, accesories in the yard :) that I hang every week. They must think I am crazy.
Pigs are very small and they do wheek but I think my neighbours make more noise, with parties and stuff.
I would never let my pigs go because of this.
In my former apartment I kept two cats hidden. Eventually they found out, but thought they were "quiet" and "good" cats so they were allowed.
I also have thought of saying "I'm just taking care of them because a friend had to travel. It's just for a while".
Noone has had to enter my apartment yet (neighbours). When they knock I try to make sure the pigs are eating or something so they don't start wheeking :)

Good luck!

Pauli

Sviega

Cavy Slave
I used to own several apartment buildings and we always allowed pets except for very large dogs and pit bulls.

It seems that around here if no one complains then the management doesn't know there is a pet.

It is illegal for the manager of a building to enter your home without permission unless there is an emergency. We had to do that once when a tenant went on a vacation and left the water running in her bathtub flooding 3 apartments below her. But they just can't walk in whenever they want.

You would have to check your state or city, but if a cop can't enter your home without a warrant I don't see how your landlord can without your permission either.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I think there might be a no pets clause in my lease, but there are so many cats in the building. I think my super is drunk half the time anyway (or half drunk all the time?) Anyway, I never told him when I got the pigs, but he's shown the apartment a few times to prospective new tenants, since we are moving soon, and has never said anything about them. In my last place, my landlord wouldn't let me have a a ferret, but my last roommate convinced her to let her move in with her dog (he's a 9lb Japanese Chin). But anway, I've never heard of apartment inspections, especially if you are moving into an apartment and not student housing. Landlords are required to give at least 24 hours notice before entering your apartment. My landlord always leaves a note or calls if he wants to come in to show the place, I just make sure the cage is clean before he comes in.

If there really is no way you can bring your pigs to this apartment, is there anyway you can find another place? There's lots of time before September, I just secured my place for Aug. 1 yesterday.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
I also live in an apartment and we have inspections regularly every 6 months. Ive snuck them out on four occasions and kept them at my mums house.

Usually the dismantaling of the cage comes the day before, the pigs are put into carry cages and shipped over to my mums. The c&c cage is completely built over again, takes around 1 1/2 hours. Try to keep it all zip tied and fold the grids up, this makes it easier for putting back together. You can cut up the coroplast into three pieces. Using masking tape just tape it all together again. This makes it easier for transportation.

The pigs stay overnight with all supplies over at my mums in their c& c cage completely built. Our room is then cleaned and all evidence of the pigs is completely hidden in cupboards, and under the bed. Rent inspection takes place and we pass. In the afternoon we travel to my mums, pick up the pigs, place them into carry cages. Dismantle the cage and re assemble it again in our room. May seem a little drastic but it works. Try to make sure the rent inspector is gone from the area completely. Make sure the carry cages are covered so the neighbours dont get too nosey.

Another way of hiding them is placing them in carry cages, dismantaling the cage and hiding the C & C set up under your bed and in cupboards. Place pigs in the car and either keep them in your lock up garage/carport for a few hours until the inspection is over. I usually sit with them in the car during this if I can. Make sure they have water, hay, and shelter in their carry cages. You have to get up early for this around 5:30-6am make sure you know what time the inspector is coming so you know what times to dismantle the cage. Do it earlier incase she is looking at other units nearby.

Ive done all this to keep my pigs and the rent inspector asks if we have pets but without evidence they cant do a thing. Feel free to ask any questions.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Forgot to add: With the carport/garage idea make sure you know the exact temperture of the car and the place it is parked. Also make sure your garage/carport is completely covered and in a shady cool area. Never put your pigs in the car if you think there is any risk of it getting too hot or too cold. Make sure they have good air circulation but no draughts. Correct temperature range. Any doughts and dont place them in the carport.

kristin25

Cavy Slave
My advice... talk to the neightbours. My dad's place has cats and dogs. They only put that in, so if there is damage you're accountable for it. The neighbours will know the strictness of the policy and then you can go from there.

thedudenacho

Cavy Slave
Actually some apartments don't allow pets but allow pocket pets which are hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, ect. I read that in a book. I don't live in an apartment though so i'm not sure

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.