Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Playing outside

• Thread starter jackrussellgirl
  • Start date

jackrussellgirl

Cavy Slave
I built a wonderful playpen for my piggies to use outside, but I'm not quite sure if it is safe out there. The maintaince company puts a pestiside on the grass is the spring and there are also a lot of people walking their dogs aroung my house. I live in a condo so the sidewalk is really close to the house. Could I put them on the paito? There are a lot of bunnies and squirrels around and I don't want my piggies to get sick from them. Would that even be an issue? This last week has been a little chilly so what temp. would be OK for them? Right now its about 65-70 degrees.

Honestly, if you can't let them on the grass, which I really don't think you should under your circumstances, I don't really see much advantage to taking them outside. But if you still want to, the patio would probably be OK. Make sure they have shade from the sun, and stay with them to keep any dogs away. I've got all kinds of critters in my back yard, and none of my pigs have ever had any issues. As for temp., I don't take Louise out until it's in the low 70's, and I bring her in if it gets to the mid 80's. But sometimes the ground is actually warmer or cooler than the air temp., so keep an eye on that, too.

I have a similar situation in a way. My solution? Fleece/towel. While they don't get the fun of the grass, they get to play outside safely.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.