Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Dood, you guys, can I eat OREOS???

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
K. So I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat diary or eggs. (Trying to go strict VEGAN slowly but I'm just not educated enough in all of the ingridients to call myself one yet)
Anywho, I picked up a packet of oreos in the break room and read the ingridients as follows:

INGRIDIENTS: SUGAR, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONOTRATE, VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), (FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA OIL AND/OR PALM OIL AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, BAKING SODA, CORNSTARCH, SALT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLA - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE.

I don't see anything that's obviously not Vegan but again, not entirely educated on Anti-Vegan ingridients yet. It would be kinda cool to be able to conveniently eat something with chocolatey goodness and know it doesn't have milk/eggs or anything like that in it.

Thanks to the more informed!

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Whit23ney said:
CHOCOLATE

That is the only product that has dairy product in it.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
If you are going vegan, no, you cannot have oreos. Along with marshmallows, gummi bears, pop tarts, etc.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Sorry, forgot to include dark chocolate does not have any dairy, but it needs to be TRUE dark chocolate, not Hershys, something from a specialty store.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Slap - why no oreos? I didn't see gelatin or whey listed in the ingredients.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Chocolate (milk chocolate) has dairy in it. She said she was not eating dairy.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
That is what I stated on Post #1.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Right the chocolate. Duh. For some reason, I was thinking you meant something about the white stuff in the middle was not vegan. :eek: My bad.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
If it's milk chocolate they should list the ingrediants of the chocolate in parenthesis next to it. It may just be unsweetened chocolate.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
And that's true, too. I'm having a major stupid day today.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Actually, I just looked this up. Oreos are now vegan if they do not contain Casein or Whey. Most types of Oreos do (Double Stuff, etc.) But some don't. (Regular)

However, if you are *truly* going vegan you should avoid all sugars except refined sugar.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
If you are *truly* going vegan you should avoid all sugars except refined sugar.

Actually, that's not correct. A lot of sugar is refined with bone char, which makes it not vegan. Your best bet for sugar is to use beet sugar, as it's not refined with bone char at all. If you want sugar cane sugar, you should look up companies that don't use bone char in the refining process.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
My bad, I *totally* spaced and meant to put "even" instead of "except".

Sucanat and turbinado sugar are good, too. Both are vegan I believe.

Sorry, Susan.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Ah well, you and I are just a couple of space cadets today. :)

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Susan9608 said:
Actually, that's not correct. A lot of sugar is refined with bone char, which makes it not vegan. Your best bet for sugar is to use beet sugar, as it's not refined with bone char at all. If you want sugar cane sugar, you should look up companies that don't use bone char in the refining process.

Unless you want splenda, which tastes nothing like sugar (to me).

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Splenda has all kinds of nasty effects on people, too, from digestive upset to insomnia to major joint pain. Some people can tolerate it just fine, some people can tolerate in small doses, and some people can't take it at all.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I love Splenda. Why are things that are supposed to be better for you actually turn out to be bad for you. Errrr.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Like everything, Splenda is not bad for you in moderation, providing you're one of the fortunate few that can tolerate it. Moderation is the key to everything - which sucks because when I like something, I like to go all out.

I used to like Splenda, too, because it meant I could drink Kool-Aid without feeling bad about the calories. Unfortunate, it gave me the worst flare of my arthritis and psorasis that I've ever had in my life. :(

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Dang I never thought of using it in Koolaid. I usually just put it in my coffee when I have it, which is not all that often. I have never felt crappy or sick from it though.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Along with marshmallows, gummi bears, pop tarts, etc.

Not only are those not vegan, they aren't even vegetarian. Unless you get the veg kind of course.

I have a horde of veg marshmellows and gummi bears! I like ration them since I have a very very hard time finding them. And I never think to order food online.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.