Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggy Condos

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I have been meaning to share this information for a little while now, and just now have had the chance to do so. ;) For anyone who is interested this is a "Piggy Condo". . .

Piggy Condos

My husband made it and I am going to share all the information with you so those of you interested can make your pigs one as well!
To begin with he measured the width of the cage and the back of the cage to the size desired. We only had four pigs housed in the cage at that time so we made the condo to fit four pigs.

Piggy Condos

Because the house is built in a L shape to perfectly fit in the corner of the cage it is easier to make the middle door a seperate piece of wood as shown above. My husband made all the door holes by placing a regular CD disk and tracing it to make the "perfect" sized circle.

Piggy Condos

Dividers were made to fit each pig so there would be less fighting over space.

Piggy Condos

So the lid could not be moved by the pigs hubby put pieces of wood on the inner sides of the "roof". The lid does lift right off for me to clean the house easily or if I need to "capture" a pig resting inside.

Piggy Condos

And last but not least . . . the pigs all enjoying their new homes. They take up a lot less space than having four seperate homes. I love it because it is to heavy for them to move all around the cage.

I put baby puddle pads with a layer of towels over that and fleece wrapped around the whole thing under the house to keep their sleeping spots clean and dry. (That is the pink fleece with ladybugs seen in picture under house). Than I can just change those pieces of fleece and towels daily so the cage itself stays cleaner longer.:shhh:

I love it!!!!! they look so snug! And they all get their own home :) Fantastic job. The one with the orange nose and the red eye looks really happy too!

I love it! You should get a patent for it! I have never seen anything like it on the market. Anyone else? If I had a woodshop, I would be making one right now.

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that.

You have such a nice husband! I love it. If I ever get my number up (I'm hoping some day, I do have a big enough cage) I'll ask my grandpa or step mom to help my build one. My husband doesn't have the tools.

I just love it and the idea of the space saver issue is right. Oh how I wish we could make one but once again, life in an apartment. Really sucks!

That looks awesome!

Could you make it without a bottom and still have it be sturdy enough? I love the ladybug fleece. My nickname when I was little was Caseybug so I love them I even have a very small one (1 inch total) tatooed on my shoulderblade. ( I was 18 when I did that :) )

I don't think it has a bottom. That is the lid you see in the picture. A bottom would be nasty..yucky wet poo!

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Simply AMAZING.:expressio

That is SOO cool! I love it. You must be REALLY talented to be able to make that.

This is very cute, I like the idea Weaver.

This is so cool!! What kind of wood did you use?

I couldn't agree more with all the above comments!

I wonder - do they each have their favorite 'room' - or do they all try to make for the 'best' one, getting stuck in the door en-route? lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.