Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it ok to feel this way?

Fanch

Cavy Slave
I was sitting outside today looking though a photo album and I found these pictures of a horse I called Day Dreamer. I never owned him, but I worked at the place that owned him, I spent hours everyday for 2 summers out laying with him, wanting him so bad. my mom said I could get him soon, once we had enough money. When we had to build a barn for my sisters horse, I brought home a different horse in the middle on November/04. I never went to see my little DD. In feb. I was coming back in from feeding my other horse and mom saw I was in a good mood, she broke the news, Day Dreamer was dead. He had died the end on November, and mom had talked to his owner in January, she was so scared to tell me. I just remebernot being able to cry, I was so shocked to know that he was gone, and that I hadn't been able to say goodbye. The funny thing was, at the end on November, when he passed away, I hadd a hard time. I had no friends, mom was never home. It was as if his death had more of effect on mee then I thought. Still now, in June/06, I still cant believe that he is gone sometimes. I know im werid for still feeling really sad over, I know its not healthy but I still do.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Emotions are healthy Fanch. Never deny yourself of them. If you feel sad over the loss of a friend or loved one (animal or human) let yourself feel sad. As long as you are still able to function in life and it has not completely taken over you are grieving in a completely healthy way.

Perhaps since you didn't get to say goodbye you could have a little funeral for him. I know that he wasn't yours, but he was still dear to you. Perhaps you could plant something in your backyard and dedicate it to him, or paint a rock for a headstone for him so that you can give yourself some closure.

If your still having a hard time you can always go and speak to your counselors at school. It sounds scary to do the first time but mine always helped me out immensely when I was in school. It was nice to have a caring ear to listen to without judging you, to have a safe place to cry.

Hugs to you for your loss.

Fanch

Cavy Slave
I think Ill plant something today for him, thank you PiggieMom.

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry to hear about your lose. But It Is a good thing that you did not buy him or get to know him better, Because If you did It would have been even harder to let him go and,the pain would have been MUCH worse.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Everything Piggymom wrote I could not have said it better. I agree with everything she wrote. One of my dogs died 5 years ago. I can guarantee you if I wrote about her right now, I would be in tears. I miss her with all my heart. She was the best dog I ever had. I often think about when I die I will see her again. Missing a loved one, animal or human is very normal and it is normal for the pain to come and go too. My dad has 5 horses who I take care of everyday. I am very attached to them too.
Hugs to you.

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
I'm getting choked up already. I only had Paulie for a week and I still cry sometimes when I think about him. Even with my dog Lindsey who died at 13 years of age. I'll just look at Toby (our current dog) and cry I just miss them both so much. I know how you feel hun. No one can tell you how to feel. So if you feel like crying no one can stop you alright? Feel better sweetie!

Fanch

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your posts, and Im feeling better. I know in the little time he lived he was happy, and I am so grateful to have been touched by this little boy.

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
I got choked up reading this :( But it's okay... it reminded me of my very, very first horse, who died the day he became mine. It had been my *dream* to own a horse, and my mom's coworker decided to give him to me, as he was the one I was learning to ride on, and she was constantly floored by the bond I shared with the normally very anti-social crotchety old Arabian gelding.

Well, we were with family the day he arrived at the place he was to be boarded, and I was bugging my mom the *whole day* because I was *sure* he'd gotten there already and they'd do something wrong. She *finally* took us home, and I ran to the barn, to find old Duke in a stall, shaking and sweating and frothing at the mouth. The barn owner said he'd been that way for hours but didn't want to turn him out in case he hurt himself. I knew the problem was that he'd *never* been in a stall before (and was in his mid-twenties), and the stress of it all was freaking him out. I immediately turned him out in the pen and called the vet... she said he was just a little stressed, but would be fine... well, he had a heart attack that night :/ I still kinda blame my mom for that one... but myself more than anything.

Years later when I rescued a horse for my own, any time he got the least bit sick I'd go into complete freak-out mode, once having to be forcibly drug home because I went into a raging, flying panic when I discovered him with a deep gouge in his neck. It got better as we both matured and he got healthier and less clumsey, but it was still pretty bad after he was gone (I shot up like a weed and didn't fit him anymore, so gave him to a horsy family as their son's first pony) and I had my studly boy.

I guess the point I'm making is that you're dealing with your feelings... it's a good thing. I'm fairly sure I never completely delt with mine :) Though I wonder what it'd be like to own one now that I've been broken in by having a baby... lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.