Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

silly question

Jennie&Steve

Cavy Slave
I just built my first C&C cage, and I love it. It looks nice and my girl is very happy in it. In fact, she's so happy in it that she has started running laps around her cage every night. She hasn't done that since she was a baby! The problem is, she kicks up bedding and it flys out all around her cage! Does anyone else have this problem? Any creative solutions, or just deal with it? Thanks for any replys.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
doesnt your coroplast edge keep the bedding inside?

cornhill

Cavy Slave
Jennie&Steve said:
I just built my first C&C cage, and I love it. It looks nice and my girl is very happy in it. In fact, she's so happy in it that she has started running laps around her cage every night. She hasn't done that since she was a baby! The problem is, she kicks up bedding and it flys out all around her cage! Does anyone else have this problem? Any creative solutions, or just deal with it? Thanks for any replys.
First of all no questions concerning guinea pigs is silly. I totally cover the bedding wirh pure Timothy Hay. I buy it by the bales. they need a lot of hay. I built 4" inserts for both my cages so they don't kick out much of anything. Also when it comes time for cleaning, I just pick up the inserts and dump it, clean it, cover the bottom with newspaper, baking soda, bedding then plenty of hay.

yataebo

Cavy Slave
Hi I have never thought about using baking soda I too use newspaper then cover it with the bedding. How much of the baking soda do you use does this help the smell any? Does it absorb the urine better?

cornhill

Cavy Slave
baking soda

yataebo said:
Hi I have never thought about using baking soda I too use newspaper then cover it with the bedding. How much of the baking soda do you use does this help the smell any? Does it absorb the urine better?
I sprinkle about a half a box on the newspaper, then put the bedding on, then I pile on the hay. I don't never smell anything until I turn the inserts upside down in my trash can with the wet newspaper and even then the oder isn't that bad.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I must be lucky but my piggies don't stink. Is baking soda OK for them to breath? What if they kick it up into the air when running?

As for the bedding getting kicked around, I was using hay on top of bedding and switched to just bedding to see if it would be easier to spot clean. Except now, bedding is kicked everywhere and they're slipping and sliding on the newspaper. I think I'll have to go back to a layer of hay on top. It seems like it's much nicer for them to run on.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
baking soda

LiciaMommycott said:
I must be lucky but my piggies don't stink. Is baking soda OK for them to breath? What if they kick it up into the air when running?

As for the bedding getting kicked around, I was using hay on top of bedding and switched to just bedding to see if it would be easier to spot clean. Except now, bedding is kicked everywhere and they're slipping and sliding on the newspaper. I think I'll have to go back to a layer of hay on top. It seems like it's much nicer for them to run on.
I sprinkle the baking soda on the newspaper. I have a lot of bedding on top and plenty of hay. My piggies don't run around in the hay section part of the cage. If you'll notice on my site, they have their running areas. There, They don't wee in that part for some reason, but I do pic up poops with my tweezers anytime I see them.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Holy Cow, Cornhill!!! I just saw the photo of your bedroom. You're single, aren't you? My 3 1/2 year old saw the picture and yelled out "I want that one!" You have some lucky pigs. My cage is about 1 1/2 x 4 and sits behind the couch in our living room but that's all the space I could get my husband to agree to.

alessa

Cavy Slave
HAHAH, yeah.. that cage is pig heaven!!! Man I wish I could do that to my room!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.