Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Half Fleece, Half Bedding

Pigz n Blanket

Cavy Slave
I was wondering how I should go about making a half-fleece, half bedding (actually 1/3 bedding) cage? I remember seeing cages that had a section with bedding, where they put the litter box, hay, etc. And the play area/house was fleece. I divided my cage with a grid but was wondering should I cut the coroplast (a slit) where the grid sticks out? (dividing the two areas) Sorry if this is hard to visualize, will clarify if anyone needs it. Also, if someone can help me find a picture of one of those cages, i'd be VERY grateful because I can't seem to find one now. Thanks!

bromers

Cavy Slave
Why did you divide it? Just want to know and why don't you do all fleece with bedding in a litter pan. just having fllece then suddenly bedding I think will be a real pain 2 clear up.

Pigz n Blanket

Cavy Slave
Yeah, exactly what weaver showed me, except for on a single level. I just want to have bedding/litterpan/hay/water in an area so HOPEFULLY (no guarantees of course) they will be more likely to do their "business" there, rather than the fleece (of course I'll have to change the fleece sometimes, but hopefully not as often). Does that make any sense? : -/

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Ok, that was a picture of my old cage. Is what you have to do (the easiest way anyways), is make a seperate piece of coroplast next to the cage square of coroplast. If you have more than two pigs you will need to make a 2 x 2, 2 pigs or less a 1 x 2 will be fine. Make a notch like shown in the picture so the pigs can easily go in and out of the kitchen area. I use a bridge for them to walk over to keep the fleece cleaner and the shavings in the area I want them in.

With making a seperate pan for the kitchen it allow you to take in out of the grids and dump it, but keep your fleece and the rest of the cage together. Make sense??

Pigz n Blanket

Cavy Slave
Yeah it does. That is such a wonderful idea! I'll definitely be doing that. : )

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
To add to Weaver's description, if you don't want to notch the coroplast for the kitchen area, you can get a set of Fiddle Sticks and make the bridge out of those. They're easy for piggy feet to walk over and perfectly safe if they chew on the wood.

Pigz n Blanket

Cavy Slave
Yeah, both options sound good. Thanks everyone!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
By the way, if you're going to segregate the cage, make sure it's still big enough for them to run in, sometimes segregating takes away from the space and defies the purpose of a large cage. I think they show it on the main web page somewheres.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.